Treatable illness or rapid dementia acceleration?

MaccaFan

Oct 6, 2020
I am brand new to the forum, and, despite having searched previous threads, I cannot find the answer I am looking for - hence this new posting. Please forgive me if this has previously been covered.

Background: My (widowed) Mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia about 10 years ago, but the condition has remained relatively stable since, due to prescribed medication. Sadly, she had to go into a Care Home almost a year ago because, the circumstances of our employed live-in carer changed after 2 years and we were unable to find a suitable replacement. With double incontinence and suddenly living on her own, it was no longer possible for Mum to remain at home.

The Care Home are that - very caring and kind although, since being there, Mum has suffered from several UTI's which have necessitated 2 hospital stays. When previously living at home, she had never had a UTI, although about 3 years ago she did have Sepsis, from which she recovered after a 4-week hospital admission. Fortunately, Mum successfully recovered from both recent infections after i/v antibiotics and fluids (on both occasions she was quite badly dehydrated in addition to the infection).

Recent Events: In August of this year, following the second of her 2 hospital stays (though it was only overnight as she responded well to the i/v antibiotics and fluids), Mum was discharged back to the Care Home. However, within a week, she had yet another UTI, then another, then another. So she has been on various oral antibiotics since mid-August. Her GP - who hasn't visited in person - said it's just a question of finding "the right antibiotic". Mum has been very drowsy since mid-August whch I attribute to the ongoing UTI.

Turn For The Worse: When I visited Mum at the Care Home on Sept 26th, I was shocked when Mum was presented to me in a wheelchair. She had previously been mobile, albeit with the help of a walker. But, more worryingly, Mum was slumped in the wheelchair and unable to communicate. She was so "out of it" she was not responding either to me or any of the Care Home staff. NHS111 were consulted, and later that afternoon an ambulance was sent. The paramedics checked Mum over, but could find nothing wrong - other than the fact that she was "sleepy".

This past weekend (Oct 3rd/4th), Mum declined even more. So much so, that I received a call from her GP yesterday (5th Oct) advising that they were now treating Mum as "end of life care". A recent blood test showed no major irregularities and her obs are 'normal', so her GP (still no visit in person) is stating "it must be the dementia" as nothing else obvious has been found.

My question to you: Given Mum's previously slow dementia decline over a 10 year period, can she really have moved to "end of life care" over a weekend? After all, she was verbally communicating and mobile only 3 weeks ago.

I can't help but feel that how she is now - 'confined' to bed in the Care Home and only able to communicate by nodding or shaking her head - could be the result of ongoing infection and/or dehydration, and that she has been "written off" by the medical profession because, in their words, "she's an old lady with dementia". I pointed out that her symptoms are almost identical to those she had with Sepsis 3 years ago, but thus was dismissed by the GP because "her obs are normal".

Thank you for taking the time to read. Your thoughts and views would be appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @MaccaFan and welcome to DTP.

I am so sorry that your mum has reached this stage. Im afraid that my head is all over the place tonight, so I do hope you dont mind if I reply using bullet point for my thoughts.
  • people with vascular dementia tend to go down in "steps" and sometimes this decline is very large.
  • it seems to me that your mum has been in decline since August/September, and its not just this weekend. First she was in a wheelchair in September and now she is bedridden
  • UTIs do horrible, horrible things to people with dementia and the infections themselves can advance the dementia.
  • as dementia advances infections are more likely because the dementia reduces the immune system.
  • when someone has sepsis the main thing that happens is that the blood pressure drops like a stone. With your mums obs being normal, this means that her blood pressure is normal, so she wont have sepsis.
  • the way your mum is presenting is typical of end of life. My mum was walking around and talking 3 days before she passed away, but she was already dying by that stage. At end of life, they become increasingly sleepy and pass into a semi comatose state. They stop eating and drinking because their body no longer requires food or fluid and this stage can last a surprisingly long time
  • I cant seem to get out of these bullet points, so I will just end with saying again that I am sorry that your mum has reached this stage . (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @MaccaFan

I’m sorry to read your mum has reached this stage. I was about to post something very similar to what @canary has written. It sounds very similar to the decline in my dad in the end which was very quick. He too had vascular dementia.

MaccaFan

Oct 6, 2020
Hello @MaccaFan and welcome to DTP.

I am so sorry that your mum has reached this stage. Im afraid that my head is all over the place tonight, so I do hope you dont mind if I reply using bullet point for my thoughts.
  • people with vascular dementia tend to go down in "steps" and sometimes this decline is very large.
  • it seems to me that your mum has been in decline since August/September, and its not just this weekend. First she was in a wheelchair in September and now she is bedridden
  • UTIs do horrible, horrible things to people with dementia and the infections themselves can advance the dementia.
  • as dementia advances infections are more likely because the dementia reduces the immune system.
  • when someone has sepsis the main thing that happens is that the blood pressure drops like a stone. With your mums obs being normal, this means that her blood pressure is normal, so she wont have sepsis.
  • the way your mum is presenting is typical of end of life. My mum was walking around and talking 3 days before she passed away, but she was already dying by that stage. At end of life, they become increasingly sleepy and pass into a semi comatose state. They stop eating and drinking because their body no longer requires food or fluid and this stage can last a surprisingly long time
  • I cant seem to get out of these bullet points, so I will just end with saying again that I am sorry that your mum has reached this stage . (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))
Canary, thank you so much for your reply. Bullet points gladly received. It would seem that maybe the medics have, after all, made the correct diagnosis. I was deperatley hoping (and clutching at straws) that it wasn't the case, but guess I must now face the harsh and sad reality of what is to come.

MaccaFan

Oct 6, 2020
Welcome to the forum @MaccaFan

I’m sorry to read your mum has reached this stage. I was about to post something very similar to what @canary has written. It sounds very similar to the decline in my dad in the end which was very quick. He too had vascular dementia.

From your words, it sounds as if the sad inevitability is closer than I had imagined. ? Thank you for taking the time to post.

Val74

Sep 8, 2020
I am totally new here MaccaFan so have no experience to be able to comment either way; but my heart goes out to you so wanted to send you some love and strength. ♥

Marc Louis

Oct 7, 2020
Just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with You and your Mom. I lost my Dad on June 7th to dementia. I will light a candle and say a prayer for you both tonight. Marc

MaccaFan

Oct 6, 2020
I am totally new here MaccaFan so have no experience to be able to comment either way; but my heart goes out to you so wanted to send you some love and strength. ♥
Thank you so much for your words of kindness.

MaccaFan

Oct 6, 2020
Just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with You and your Mom. I lost my Dad on June 7th to dementia. I will light a candle and say a prayer for you both tonight. Marc
Marc, I am sorry to hear that you lost your Dad and hope that you are coming to terms with his passing. Dementia affects so many, in such different ways - not just those afflicted, but also loved ones, family, friends and neighbours. Whatever form it takes, it is such a horrible illness. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.