Trazodone

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi everyone,
My husband has been on Trazodone ( here in Italy the name of the med the neurologist prescribed is " Trittico") for six days.
It kicked in immediately after the first administration after the evening meal. On the following day he was calmer, but not sleepy and almost stopped pestering me with his endless demands.
When I asked him how he was ( the neurologist had warned me about possible side effects such as weakness, dizziness , and nausea) he answered he felt " less stressed".
His memory is as bad as it used to be and he is as confused as usual , but in a quieter way . His delusions seem to have lost their aggressive quality and he is much less argumentative.
I wonder if any of you is having or had any experiences with this med.
Thanks to all of you in advance.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That sounds very positive @margherita. I’ve no experience of this drug myself but I just wanted to say I hope the improvement is sustained.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband took this and apart from Zopiclone to help him sleep sometimes Trazodone was the only drug he took. I had hoped to stay away from all drugs but the stress was too great. It suited John very well and stopped the wandering and the desperation to be going somewhere or doing something. He started on 50 mg and worked up to 250 mg. When he became more frail I reduced it gradually with approval of his consultant. By the time he died he didn't need any at all.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
My Father took Trazodone for a few months and we saw a mildly positive effect, when it was increased it then had the reverse effect on him which resulted in him being sectioned. I cant say for sure that he didn't have a further drop in the dementia or if it was Trazodone, but they made an error on the secure ward and missed giving him the Trazadone for 4 days, this resulted in a positive effect and he was calmer so we kept him off it. Just our experience!

margherita

May 30, 2017
My husband took this and apart from Zopiclone to help him sleep sometimes Trazodone was the only drug he took. I had hoped to stay away from all drugs but the stress was too great. It suited John very well and stopped the wandering and the desperation to be going somewhere or doing something. He started on 50 mg and worked up to 250 mg. When he became more frail I reduced it gradually with approval of his consultant. By the time he died he didn't need any at all.
Hi @marionq ,
I am currently administering him five drops a day. My husband doesn't know about it, because I put them in the ice cream he has every evening. When the neurologist had asked him if he would take this drug, he had replied he wouldn't. So, since he is so stubborn and difficult to persuade to do anything, I decided to administer the drug without him knowing.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
My husband was as restless as yours and seemed not to be able to have ( and, as a consequence, give me) rest.

margherita

May 30, 2017
My Father took Trazodone for a few months and we saw a mildly positive effect, when it was increased it then had the reverse effect on him which resulted in him being sectioned. I cant say for sure that he didn't have a further drop in the dementia or if it was Trazodone, but they made an error on the secure ward and missed giving him the Trazadone for 4 days, this resulted in a positive effect and he was calmer so we kept him off it. Just our experience!
Hi @Abbey82 ,
It is surprising how little we know about people with dementia and the way to treat them (by "we" I do not mean common people, which is understandable, but also doctors). The same drug can bring such different effects with no apparent reason.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Jacques

Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone,
My husband has been on Trazodone ( here in Italy the name of the med the neurologist prescribed is " Trittico") for six days.
It kicked in immediately after the first administration after the evening meal. On the following day he was calmer, but not sleepy and almost stopped pestering me with his endless demands.
When I asked him how he was ( the neurologist had warned me about possible side effects such as weakness, dizziness , and nausea) he answered he felt " less stressed".
His memory is as bad as it used to be and he is as confused as usual , but in a quieter way . His delusions seem to have lost their aggressive quality and he is much less argumentative.
My husband is also on Trazodone. He was taking one each night with other medications.
Hi everyone,
My husband is taking Trazodone and was taking it with other meds before going to bed. He started sundowning about living elsewhere (see my post on page 2) so I decided to give him his Trazodone at 5.00. For a week now I haven't heard a word about living elsewhere. He has felt tired quite early and has been going to bed earlier than normal but it is worth it for a peaceful end to the day. I have found that it certainly works for my husband but only hope that I haven't spoken too soon!! Hope this helps.

Jacques

Apr 4, 2020
My husband is taking Trazodone and was taking it with other meds before going to bed. He started sundowning about living elsewhere (see my post on page 2) so I decided to give him his Trazodone at 5.00. For a week now I haven't heard a word about living elsewhere. It does make him feel tired and he has been going to bed earlier than usual but it is worth it for a peaceful end to the day. I have found that it has certainly worked for my husband but only hope that I haven't spoken too soon!! Hope this helps.

margherita

May 30, 2017
I have found that it has certainly worked for my husband but only hope that I haven't spoken too soon!! Hope this helps.
Hi @Jacques , thanks for sharing your experience.
I do need something which can make him less obsessed and obsessing and now my husband is a bit more manageable , I feel relieved ( as far as possible).
I too hope I haven't spoken too soon.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
My husband as just been proscribed this to calm him down a bit better .
I have read paperwork .saying a bought depression pills .
He is already on so don’t no wether to give it him other pills are (90mg a day DULOXETINE)
Does any one else take other depression pills with them ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa