Travelling with dementia

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
I have avoided Travel this past year but we will be taking a plane next week. I am rather worried about toilets at the airport and on the plane - if my H bolts the door he may not get back out !! When we have needed a public toilet I have guided him to the unisex wheelchair accessible facility and he hasn’t bolted the door !! So far :)
I am wondering How have others travelled - any tips !? Any pitfalls - don’t let him out of your sight !!!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
At the airport, could you use the family toilet, if they have one? These are usually single stall and large enough for a wheelchair and helper.

Failing that, I'd take him into the ladies' and use a disabled stall.

On the airplane I am sure there is a way to open the toilet door from the outside. If not obvious, ask a flight attendant.

I'd book extra help at the airport to make things quicker and easier for you. I think this is done through the airlines and must be done in advance, but I'm not certain. I would say yes to the wheelchair if he will accept it.

Take at least one complete change of clothing, maybe two extra tops, and wipes, and heavy duty plastic bags. Even if he's not incontinent and doesn't have that sort of accident, there's always the possibility of spilling food or drink and you'd want dry clothes.

Remember not to check anything that can't get lost, especially medicine.

Pack snacks!

I'd have a note ready to hand to everyone, briefly explaining your husband has dementia, can't answer questions, and to talk to you, or whatever the case is, if he would get confused/upset by you saying this in front of him.

i would guess that going through airport security would be most difficult, depending on how well he can follow directions.

If applicable, I hope you have travel insurance.

Also advice here: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20030/staying_independent/26/holidays_and_travelling

Safe travels!

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
Many thanks Amy !! Lots of excellent advice there !! I love the “written note” idea and the changes of clothing - I’ll take my back pack with all his needs . Thanks very much !!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I will second all of Amy’s wonderful advice...and add that I found security the worst. Some airports in England now are supplying lanyards for those with ‘hidden’ disabilities to wear. You have to order them ahead of time, and I am planning to use them when we fly to Italy, later this year. It might be worth seeing if they do anything like this where you are?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I second what @Amethyst59 has said about the lanyards for people with hidden disabilities. We were issued with one in Belfast recently and I feel that the passage through security was much easier. One thing I would mention is that in Belfast they thought the system was only for those with Autism so I had to insist that Alzheimer’s was a hidden disability before my wife got her lanyard.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
I haven’t heard of a lanyard ? But I think the note will make a big difference- then there is no need to talk about him when he is nearby.
I accept any distant travel - International - is unlikely to happen for us now - but it may be possible - thanks again for your help !!
Mudgee Joy