Travel Insurance

Pana

Jul 28, 2015
I have recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers and I'm new to this group. Please can anyone assist me?

Today I attempted to renew my annual travel insurance with the Post Office. I declared that I need to add an additional condition to those I had previously given over the last three years . I was informed after a number of questions that they would not be able to offer a quote for cover.

I asked was it because of the Alzheimers and they said they could not comment. I said given it is the only change in my condition over the previous two years so it must be they just replied they were unable to comment.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone offer me guidance where I may obtain travel insurance as I'm flying out to Germany for two days Saturday morning and I have booked an holiday in Corfu in Sptemberv

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Pana

I'm sorry to read about your diagnosis. I'm glad you've found TP though as I'm sure you'll get a lot of help and support here.

A number of people have started threads on Travel Insurance and have listed the companies they have used. The company I have used most recently for myself and my husband (who has Alzheimer's) is Staysure. As far as I know Saga will also give cover.

This thread was started some time ago and you'll find links on that as well.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?82396-Travel-insurance

Good luck and enjoy your holiday.

I can't get annual insurance for my husband now though, it has to be on a single trip basis.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Pana unfortunately you will find it very difficult to get Travel Insurance after a diagnoses of dementia, however there are companies that would Insure you but at a very large inflated cost
I have dementia myself diagnosed 16 years ago , my wife and me take two holidays abroad a year on average , and insurance wasn’t an issue but in past few years with all the TV programmes and media coverage everywhere showing doom and gloom and obviously now Insurance companies see a person with dementia as a High Risk irrespective of how well you cope or live with dementia I went on May this year to Majorca without Insurance , I have a holiday booked for Tenerife later this year again No insurance , having said that a few Travel Insurance companies would insure me
the cheapest I could get for 14 days holiday was for £388 plus I had to pay an access £500 on any claim definitely not paying out that sort of money for a 14 day cover.

Can I say this all my personal view and how I decided to go ahead, I’m 72+ didn’t expect to live to that age and obviously want to carry on but weather I leave this earth here in UK or on holiday abroad makes no difference to me then , I watch TV News and thousands of People enter Britain daily Do They Have Travel Insurance or any Insurance to cover any Medical Conditions well a few may so again my personal view but I think we Get Conned into having insurance

again this is what works for me

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I got affordable cover from Surestart when I went to the States, despite declaring Type11 diabetes, severe nerve damage to my spine, Asthma...and other complaints.

Going on holiday without cover is fine....as long as you can afford the costs of treatment and possible emergency repatriation...it cost my late sister approx £400 for one night's stay and three units of blood in Cape Town 20 years ago, just to get her fit enought to fly home to die!!:eek::eek:...she had Leukaemia in remission ( they thought) ...it wasn't!!! She gambled and had no cover.

Another point about holiday insurance is the third party liability cover, if you trip someone up or cause an accident... with insurance, their claims will be considered, without cover...you pay!!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's Staysure that I get when I google Stay Sure. I found Staysure fine but Bill has no heart problems. I think that makes a difference.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West

Hi thanks Beate I tried them a couple of times they would give me a Quote and suggested I phone so I did the guy said they would give me cover but it wouldn't cove my Dementia , blood pressure, or cholesterol because I was taking medication for those I said yes but my blood is normal and my cholesterol level is 3.1 so the tablets are working and my dementia is irrelevant his answer the computer says NO

Travel insurers see dementia as an easy target

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi thanks Beate I tried them a couple of times they would give me a Quote and suggested I phone so I did the guy said they would give me cover but it wouldn't cove my Dementia , blood pressure, or cholesterol because I was taking medication for those I said yes but my blood is normal and my cholesterol level is 3.1 so the tablets are working and my dementia is irrelevant his answer the computer says NO

Travel insurers see dementia as an easy target

That's odd Tony as they gave cover for my husband who has dementia. I paid the extra for declared existing medical conditions bit and it wasn't outrageous.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
That's odd Tony as they gave cover for my husband who has dementia. I paid the extra for declared existing medical conditions bit and it wasn't outrageous.

Hi Izzy thanks for reply well I just went on line for a quote and couldn't believe my eyes when the quote came accepting me and the cost £51 still in shock couldn't book it because all details weren't correct but the medical information was correct so will have a go again with correct details and if it comes back the same will book

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Izzy thanks for reply well I just went on line for a quote and couldn't believe my eyes when the quote came accepting me and the cost £51 still in shock couldn't book it because all details weren't correct but the medical information was correct so will have a go again with correct details and if it comes back the same will book

Good luck! I found them helpful on the phone too when I had to declare my husband's hospital stay.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Good luck! I found them helpful on the phone too when I had to declare my husband's hospital stay.

Hi Izzy thanks. I have a correct quote now but before I complete I will phone them tomorrow to be sure in case I have missed something or made a mistake somewhere

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Izzy thanks. I have a correct quote now but before I complete I will phone them tomorrow to be sure in case I have missed something or made a mistake somewhere

I think that's wise Tony. I actually emailed them to make sure that Bill was covered if anything happened which was belated to his dementia. They said as long as I paid the amount for the declaration of the condition he would be.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Senior moment.....Surestart is my Granddaughter's Nursery!!:confused::confused::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
They covered me for my high BP too!! Staysure I mean...I think the Nursery is what caused the high BP:D:D:D

Last edited:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Senior moment.....Surestart is my Granddaughter's Nursery!!:confused::confused::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
They covered me for my high BP too!! Staysure I mean...I think the Nursery is what caused the high BP:D:D:D

Ok cragmaid no problem we all have the senior moments , at least I getting somewhere hopefully so thanks for advise

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Izzy I e-mailed the company early this morning just to be sure my application details were correct !! its now 19:20 pm and they haven't replied :confused: so yet again No joy with getting insured

Last edited:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
What a pity. Have you phoned them?

Hi Izzy No I didn't because my brain don't work with my speech so I would be completely mixed up , I just been back to make some corrections to my last post when I read it but I don't do to bad after 16 years of dementia