Travel insurance

Salmac

May 10, 2015
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last year. We travel to Europe for a couple of months in the summer. The questions asked for Alzheimer's are all standard, surely every person is different and needs vary dramatically yet all sufferers are under the same "umbrella ". Is there an Insurance company that treats sufferers for their needs?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My experience is that all travel insurance companies ask the same questions in relation to dementia.

This is an article from one of the Living With Dementia Magazines-

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2708&pageNumber=5

I recently bought travel insurance and declared my husband's dementia. Before I bought it I asked if the extra premium meant we were covered for anything related to the dementia and was told it did. I think it would be wise to. Heck with the company you choose.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
My experience is that all travel insurance companies ask the same questions in relation to dementia.

This is an article from one of the Living With Dementia Magazines-

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2708&pageNumber=5

I recently bought travel insurance and declared my husband's dementia. Before I bought it I asked if the extra premium meant we were covered for anything related to the dementia and was told it did. I think it would be wise to. Heck with the company you choose.

Hi Salmac I understand the travel insurance problem , very difficult to get cover and if you do it's very expensive and a large excess to pay on on any claims , I have dementia myself and holiday 2 & sometimes 3 times a year , in fact in Spain now Salmac I don't take out or purchase any travel insurance now get trust my own judgement on my health and will use my E U health Card if necessary , obviously that only my view and what I do myself :)

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My husband has early onset Alzheimers we are going to Malta for a week in June. I got an excellent cover with Anchor Insurance the Alzheimers was no problem and its reasonable.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
My husband has early onset Alzheimers we are going to Malta for a week in June. I got an excellent cover with Anchor Insurance the Alzheimers was no problem and its reasonable.

Hi Optomistic thanks I will ask them for a quote when I get { I will try it using my iPad but not great on that my son calls me sausage fingers } I will let you know how it goes

Cheers Tony ps I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1999 but refused to agree with consultants so after two PET brain scans in 2003/04 they diagnoses was changed to frontal temporal-dementia

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West

Hi Optomistic just log on to Anchor and it gave me a list of companies to compare travel insurance I didn't go any further , because I have tried compare we several companies since last September , as I said there all around £300 mark with and excess of anything between £250- £500 obviously the excess depends on premium previously I paid £17 month eat bank that was for me and wife also included car brake down and cover for others things ✈️✈️

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Tony have you tried Staysure? Our premium was much less than £300. I declared Alzheimers and type 2 diabetes for my husband. I also phoned last week and declared his recent stay in hospital with a chest infection. That cost £47 to update the policy.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Tony have you tried Staysure? Our premium was much less than £300. I declared Alzheimers and type 2 diabetes for my husband. I also phoned last week and declared his recent stay in hospital with a chest infection. That cost £47 to update the policy.

Hi Lzzy yes was one of the first I tried , Age UK, & Saga wouldn't quote at all I think I have over past six months right up to last Saturday tried nearly all of them virtually all ask same questions I even had a G.P letter for backup but the total cost is more than I pay for my House, Car, or Van insurance let's face it I only after 2 weeks cover

Cheers Tony red hot in Majorca 26 deg xxx

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Tony Have you tried Columbus Direct? They've been brilliant with us

Hi Sammyjo1 thanks just asked them for a quote their reply ( unfortunately unable to give a quote because of your Declared Medical conditions ). They suggested I try goodtogo travel insurance but I tried them for a quote previously along with I suspect all Travel Insurers now I will just resign myself that I won't get travel insurance but I do carry the EU medical card

Cheers Tony

Last edited:

polly1

Dec 8, 2011
Hampshire
My husband has PCA (a rare form of Alzheimer's) and when he was diagnosed we got really cheap European Travel Insurance with Flexicover. At the time he was not on any medication and the sales consultant said that was why the cover was cheaper.
The following year (2014) when he was then on Aricept, the premium went up but it was not too expensive. It was £17.27 for one weeks cover.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
My husband has PCA (a rare form of Alzheimer's) and when he was diagnosed we got really cheap European Travel Insurance with Flexicover. At the time he was not on any medication and the sales consultant said that was why the cover was cheaper.
The following year (2014) when he was then on Aricept, the premium went up but it was not too expensive. It was £17.27 for one weeks cover.

Hi polly1 thanks for reply I have tried Flexicover can't remember what the quote was now but re: your comment on Medication I have been on Aricept since 1999 the dementia or medication was never a problem until we told the insurance company my wife had her heart attack in 2014 it was then that the insurance company refused the insurance because of my dementia and that was with a well known bank !! However we could get insurance from other companies until I myself had the heart attack in September 2014 it was after that the premiums started to get stupid averaging £300 me paying an excess of £500 just can't figure it out or where I'm going wrong when I read the replies I also tried my insurance broker who I've been insured with for over 30 years for house & vehicles , what annoys me most is "yes" I have dementia "but" I live a full active life stil drive a car & now I have my Full driving licence back ride a ZX1000 motorcycle in fact driving a hire Car in Majorca whilst on holiday. " really because I live a normal life nobody who suspect I have dementia the diagnoses

sorry on bit of a rant there then
Cheers Tony

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Ah. I hadn't realised that you had had a heart attack Tony. I'm sorry to hear that I know my brother's travel insurance is much more expensive because he had heart issues.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Ah. I hadn't realised that you had had a heart attack Tony. I'm sorry to hear that I know my brother's travel insurance is much more expensive because he had heart issues.

Hi Lzzy yes last September but it doesn't worry me Lzzy I look at it at age 70 + I'm alive free of pain and " Above Ground" so keep going as long as possible nice to hear from you Lzzy I haven't been active on T.P for a while I just fulling in time waiting for wife to go for breakfast I'm in room 948 she is in 944 so we don't sleep in same rooms not even on holiday ???

Cheers Tony xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Have a lovely day Tony. We are booked to go to Spain 2 weeks today. My husband hasn't been well so I have everything crossed that we'll be able to go!

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Have a lovely day Tony. We are booked to go to Spain 2 weeks today. My husband hasn't been well so I have everything crossed that we'll be able to go!

Hi nice one Lizzy be positive and have a great time every thing seem different when your relaxed and in the sun

Cheers Tony xx take care

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi nice one Lizzy be positive and have a great time every thing seem different when your relaxed and in the sun

Cheers Tony xx take care

Thanks Tony. These chest and urine infections are a real problem! Hey ho!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson