Travel insurance with a relative with AD

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Hi
Im pretty sure the answer to this is 'no' - but thought id ask anyway.

Has anyone got/found travel insurance for themselves that does not exclude cancellation as a result of preexisting illness of a close relative?

I really fancy a trip which is going in december, however mum has advanced AD - she has been pretty stable in her nursing home for the last 2 years, very slowly deteriorating, and ive been on holidays, usually booked at a couple months notice its fair to say. In the first couple of years she seemed to deteriorate more quickly and erratically.

Ive gotten myself all really anxious about it all, and dont think i can book anything now - unless its really last minute.

Mum could continue to be fine, (my granny had this for 13 years) but part of me thinks I've just been really lucky. Shes been in a nursing home for 3 years (this week) and apart from when she had flu (when she was really poorly) shes only had a couple of utis and chest infections in the whole time and they have cleared up with antibiotics. Ive seen lots of the people who were there when she first went in pass away.

I realise i am lucky that i can get away, i know many of you caring for relatives at home would find that really difficult. I was just wondering if anyone had looked into this themselves and found a company who would insure.

Thanks

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I informed my travel insurance of my mum's condition and lo and behold I'm not covered.

My travel insurance is included with something else so not too worried at the moment, as with only going to France, I'm guessing cost of getting back would be barely more than excess, however, I hadn't thought about sorting something out if I go on a more expensive holiday.

Glad you posted this.

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Ive had a message back from onestop
They only insure for cruises, and advanced AD wouldnt be covered

My own travel insurance has got back to me too, theyve spoken to their underwriters, and they wont insure at all for cancellation due to relative with advanced AD. Ironic that they insure my underwater camera equipment and ive flooded that twice!

Id asked the tour operator as well, incase she was in the know, she had been in a similar situation with a parent with cancer and hadnt been able to get insurance.

So plan C is that im playing it by ear, and will book something last minute, all things being well (assuming can get cat care booked!)

Cant really believe no one offers this insurance, even at a reasonable cost, it seems to affect a lot of people. Tried saga - thought they may be more sympathetic - no!

Did see some good suggestions about booking the different components yourself; flights that can be changed (so bit more expensive) and accomodation on one of those sites that allow free cancellation right up to the dates.

So at least i know its not an option