Travel Insurance needed that covers Alzheimers

retiredcopper

May 17, 2011
Yorkshire
Hi,

My 90yr old mum-in-law has Alzheimers (diagnosed 4 years ago) but had been physically fit until this week when she contracted a chest infection.

My husband is due to go on a 'working' holiday on a cruise ship next month &, on contacting our travel insurance company (part of our past employer's insurance policy), has been told that he won't be covered for repatriation if a relative with Alzheimers becomes sick or dies from a condition associated with the disease. MIL is recovering slowly & we have every hope she will be fine but my husband is now trying to find an insurance company that will cover him otherwise he will have to cancel his trip (and any future holidays we may wish to take). Has anyone managed to find a company that insures under these circumstances please?

Angie

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Let me know how you get on.

EDIT
Disclaimer.
No connection other than a satisfied customer.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Have sent PM with a suggested broker.

Could you please send that to me as well Nitram?

I will be cancelling our New Year holiday to Bruges due to Bill's continuing problems with pneumonia/chest infections. I will, of course, be contacting our current insurer with a view to claiming for e cost of the holiday. I want the doctor to be clear that I am cancelling due to the respiratory problems not his Alzheimer's. Our annual insurance expires in February. I would like to hope that I might be able to to take Bill for a short break somewhere warm in the Spring but would like to consider another insurance company. I think his age (83) might also be a problem.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Izzy

Done

Wearing your new hat, can you rule on whether or not I can post the details of an insurance broker?

retiredcopper

May 17, 2011
Yorkshire
Hi nitram,

Hubby has spoken to them & unfortunately they will not cover for a claim involving a third party Alzheimers sufferer. The helpful guy asked his colleagues as they had not come across a similar enquiry before. I find this puzzling when you consider how many people suffer from this disease in the UK and how many relatives it will impact on. Do the relatives not check their travel insurance cover or do they either bear the cost of an early return home or don't bother rushing home? If hubby was going to a European city that he could get home from easily he would stand the cost out of his own pocket, however it's a little more difficult & very costly to do it from the middle of the ocean!!

Thanks for your help anyway & Izzy shouldn't have the same problem as her position is different.

Angie

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I'm afraid not Nitram. It's covered within the T&Cs

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.p...forganisations"

Thought that would be the answer, but that rule is sometimes not enforced, or posts missed, if link is not health related. Posts about good and bad banks appear to be allowed but not insurers.
I realise that I may have just been guilty of breaking another rule by discussing moderation.

"Anyone wanting your information should PM you if you're happy for this to happen."

Within reason, yes.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
retiredcopper

I think the answer may be that many people don't realise that the health of non travelling family members is important.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I'm a tad confused as to what a condition associated with the disease actually is.

People don't die as a result of Altzheimers, do they? They die with it, rarely because of it.

the old person might die because they say , walked in the road without looking and got run down and killed because they forgot to look because they have demetia, or because they wandered

''My mother is 96 and has been hospitalised with a serious chest infection and isn't going to make it, can I be flown home soonest'' The fact that she has dementia is irrelevant, isn't it?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm a bit concerned about this regarding my forthcoming attempt to claim for the holiday I am about to cancel. Bill is still suffering from the after effects of bronchial pneumonia. He still has an infection in his lung. I am concerned that

A) he needs a long period of recuperation
B) if we go to Belgium in Dec/Jan the weather is likely to be similar to here. It's a city break in a hotel - I'm concerned being out and about so much in that kind of climate might prompt a recurrence of the pneumonia

None of the above relates specifically to Alzheimer's. I'm hoping the GP agrees and the insurance company see it the same way as I do. He has never had pneumonia before and had not had a chest infection when I booked in April.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"People don't die as a result of Altzheimers, do they? They die with it, rarely because of it."

People do die because of dementia.
The brain stops functioning causing various body functions to become impaired or cease altogether, mobility, speech, incontinence, renal function, immune system,..

My wife's death certificate says only

Cause of death
1(a) Lewy Body Dementia