Trashing Home

FloC

Jul 21, 2015
Hi. My brother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about eighteen months ago. He lives alone but has a close friend and neighbour who cares for him. The other day she arrived in the morning to find that he had trashed his sitting room. Furniture was overturned, pictures off the walls and belongings scattered around. She woke him up and asked him what had happened but he had no recollection at all. This is not something that has happened before. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
If this is very unusual behaviour for him I wondered if it would be worth having him checked for a urine infection. I know my mother always became quite aggressive when she had a UTI.

FloC

Jul 21, 2015
Thanks. He has been checked but no UTI and so the doctor sent him to hospital where they are doing more tests. He is even more confused in hospital and keeps removing the heart monitor. He thinks that he is at the golf club where he used to play.Poor guy!
Welcome to TP Flo:)

As Izzy says it could be a UTi. Ask the GP to check him over.

Demonica66

Oct 23, 2014
Hi FloC, it's not unusual for someone with Alzheimer's to suffer hallucinations. Could he have experienced a particularly vivid hallucination that caused him to react this way? Otherwise, he sounds quite vulnerable; as Lizzybean said, is it possible that he invited someone in, only for them to turn the place over, looking for valuables? Sadly, you might never know, but thank goodness he is ok. Hope you can get to the bottom of it. XX

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

FloC

Jul 21, 2015
Thank you and Lizzy Bean for your help. We're fairly sure that he did it himself as it was just the one room and his wallet was by the door and untouched. We keep trying to get him to keep his wallet out of sight but he just puts it back in the same place over again. Luckily there's not much in it. The hospital haven't found anything medically wrong with him. He does have hallucinations which involve seeing and talking to people who aren't there. Maybe he was trying to fight someone off. Who will ever know? Thanks again for your advice! xx
Hi FloC, it's not unusual for someone with Alzheimer's to suffer hallucinations. Could he have experienced a particularly vivid hallucination that caused him to react this way? Otherwise, he sounds quite vulnerable; as Lizzybean said, is it possible that he invited someone in, only for them to turn the place over, looking for valuables? Sadly, you might never know, but thank goodness he is ok. Hope you can get to the bottom of it. XX

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Not so extreme, but my dad regularly moved furniture around and 'tidied' the contents of cupboards so that they were left on surfaces, and usually did this at night when he was on his own. I'd go in ready to move things back quietly so he didn't know - as he rarely remembered what he'd done. It seemed to be something he did to calm his agitation, give him some control over his surroundings and have something to think about. A bit worrying as somehow he moved some heavy stuff all on his own, but he only ever gave himself a few bruises.

devans

Feb 9, 2014
Mum has done similar fighting off five people, this generally has been cured by the use of sleeping tablets. These are as an when and ensure at least twice a week she gets a deep sleep. This has totally changed her behaviour and hallucinations are reduced or removed with deep sleep as the brain is only refreshed when the hit the deep part might be worth a try

David

devans

Feb 9, 2014
Hi

Mum has done similar fighting off five people, this generally has been cured by the use of sleeping tablets. These are as an when and ensure at least twice a week she gets a deep sleep. This has totally changed her behaviour and hallucinations are reduced or removed with deep sleep as the brain is only refreshed when the hit the deep part might be worth a try

David

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife