Training to be a plumber!

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
This morning as usual I was sitting with my coat and shoes on waiting for my OH as he always decides he needs to go to the toilet when we are about to go out. This is the third time in a couple of weeks that he has used far too much toilet paper and consequently we have a blocked toilet. After sticking a brush down the toilet I did managed to unblock it (feeling pretty horrified that I am having to deal with this). Has anyone got any suggestions how I can stop him doing this again before we end up with a greater problem and it overflowing onto the floor? A different challenge every day!!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
A plumber once told me that the best way to unblock a toilet is to use a mop with a plastic bag over it, secured with a rubber band.

It works!

No idea how to stop a PWD blocking said toilet...

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
You can get a simple toilet plunger - like a traditional sink plunger with a stick and rubber cup only bigger. Like this: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p5...YzhxQYayl2-QhaE4ZjshMEPlxAP0VuCwaAt1nEALw_wcB

I've used these in the past and they are very handy. (.......and only £2.87....a bargain!)[/
You can get a simple toilet plunger - like a traditional sink plunger with a stick and rubber cup only bigger. Like this: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p5...YzhxQYayl2-QhaE4ZjshMEPlxAP0VuCwaAt1nEALw_wcB

I've used these in the past and they are very handy. (.......and only £2.87....a bargain!)
Thank for that info. Didn’t know you could get these for a toilet. Seen ones for a sink, but never a toilet! Learn something new every day!

Shen Martine

Sep 18, 2018
This morning as usual I was sitting with my coat and shoes on waiting for my OH as he always decides he needs to go to the toilet when we are about to go out. This is the third time in a couple of weeks that he has used far too much toilet paper and consequently we have a blocked toilet. After sticking a brush down the toilet I did managed to unblock it (feeling pretty horrified that I am having to deal with this). Has anyone got any suggestions how I can stop him doing this again before we end up with a greater problem and it overflowing onto the floor? A different challenge every day!!

My mom is using a lot of toilet paper at the moment and one thing we have started doing is buying toilet wipes. They dispense one at a time so it automatically limits the amount she uses. It may not work for your OH but it is worth a try.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
My mom is using a lot of toilet paper at the moment and one thing we have started doing is buying toilet wipes. They dispense one at a time so it automatically limits the amount she uses. It may not work for your OH but it is worth a try.

Do you mean the wet wipes? How do you stop your mum from flushing these?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'd be very cautious about using the 'flushable' wipes, if over used they will cause a bigger blockage than toilet paper, which won't be fixed as easily with say a plunger. All the water firms say that they don't consider these wipes as flushable, as they cause problems further down the sewers, they don't actually break down and add to the fat bergs.