Tracking device

Evangeline_26

Oct 7, 2019
Hi,
I'm looking for a small discreet tracking device that I can see into my dad's coat lining with a long battery life. Can anyone recommend one please?

My dad was out 'taking a stroll' the night before last from 5.15pm until 7.45pm. The teatime carer alerted us to the fact that he wasn't home.

I can try attaching it to his keyring but he keeps removing (and losing things). Today he unplugged the careline twice and refused to put it back.

Please don't just add a link to the list on Alzheimers Society website. I need recommendations and urgently.

Thank you

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
Hi @Evangeline_26, the only tracking device I've found with a long life, small and discreet is a chipolo key finder, it might not cover the range you need though. Even stitched into the coat there's no garuntee your dad will put the jacket on when he goes out.

Would your dad wear a smart watch you could link to your phone? If you type 'tracking device' into the search bar at the top of the page it will bring up earlier threads relating to this topic that you might find helpful. You could also consider door alerts, cameras etc depending on how tech savvy you are.

Evangeline_26

Oct 7, 2019
Thank you. I'll search as you recommended. I'll look into the watches but I think he would take it off. He wears a watch already which has a clock face rather than a digital display.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
We used an Esky key fob finder (finds keys, sticks etc) for Mummy, but beware, for whatever reason, she took it to pieces.... I mention this because this can happen with tech aids for people with dementia.

We wondered about a cheap mobile phone with sat nav type software, but again you have the problem of it being unfamiliar/unwanted and therefore left behind or broken. This may not help, but we attached a plastic luggage label to my Mum's favourite bag, that has my mobile number on it - in case someone found her wandering. Not ideal and very low-tech, but she never actually removed it.....

heatherj

May 26, 2021
Haven't tried them, but I see you can now get GPS insoles for shoes. Would that work?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I found trackers didn't work with my mum. I installed one her handbag and she had the child proof attachment undine in five mins and the device removed. I had a key ring tracker, that got removed as well or the keys just left behind. Its a tough one to deal with and the other flip side is once a person has wandered even with a trcaker on, you then have to be quick in responding and of course finding them -if the tracker worked or survived being removed.

NewWorld

Sep 2, 2022
I use multiple trackers all at the same time. If one fails i can try another. So far none are great but at least I can find where she might be. Tile (key fob and card sized) and apple tag is best. Having some success with a mobile phone on a watch as she will wear it. However there is supposed to be a new geriatric spacetalk watch coming out in October.. I'm hoping this will help.

Either way.. at least I can track where she last lost her items!