Tracker advice

bigmo

Aug 4, 2021
St Albans
My husband, with dementia, went out without my knowledge the other day, and I didn't find him by driving round our neighbouring roads where he knows his way and we often take our walks. After about 45 minutes I called the police who went into full action. Soon after calling them, though, I heard the key in the lock with missing husband looking out of breath saying 'Oh, there you are. I couldn't find you.' I was embarrassed buthe police with three officers on the lookout were not fazed and assured me I did the right thing. They told me about safety aids which have tracking so someone can be found very easily and I will be looking into the most appropriate of these, phones or wristwatches.
As it happened my husband was not 'lost' but knew exactly where he was going and how to get back - to the station to find me. But it made me realise I should do something about alarms with tracking aids. He can't use a mobile phone but it can be tracked by searchers.

There are quite a lot of devices on the market. Can anyone help me navigate the market? There is also a potential need for me to have something if I should have a stroke and hubby is unable to call for help.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @bigmo
I don't know too much about trackers in general, though there are other threads about them, so worth doing a search

with dad, as part of his care package thru the LA Adult Services, he had a carephone systen installed which linked to his landline ... he could wear his tracker and alert button as a 'necklace' or a watch ... we chose watch, as it did show the time and he kept it on all the time (it didn't seem to bother him at night) ... so he could call for help and he could be tracked ... it was also set to send an alert to the company if he left the house grounds, and there was a door alert if he left the door open ... I think he paid a small monthly fee
the alert was sent to a call centre, so they could speak to him over the landline attachment and could contact me

Last edited:

bigmo

Aug 4, 2021
St Albans
hi @bigmo
I don't know too much about trackers in general, though there are other threads about them, so worth doing a search

with dad, as part of his care package thru the LA Adult Services, he had a carephone systen installed which linked to his landline ... he could wear his tracker and alert button as a 'necklace' or a watch ... we chose watch, as it did show the time and he kept it on all the time (it didn't seem to bother him at night) ... so he could call for help and he could be tracked ... it was also set to send an alert to the company if he left the house grounds, and there was a door alert if he left the door open ... I think he paid a small monthly fee
the alert was sent to a call centre, so they could speak to him over the landline attachment and could contact me
Thank you very much for your reply. I am expecting an assessment but don't know how long that will be, so will wait.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm