TP search techniques - need help

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I find it really difficult to search for information on the forum. This may be down to my lack of skill or just my stupidity.

Here is an example:
I have a problem at the moment with my relative in his nursing home as his clothes keep disappearing. I buy him new clothes and they disappear within days or weeks. I know this is not an uncommon problem and thought I would search the forum to try and find some relevant threads. My search words "lost clothing" found lots of threads but do not pick up or highlight the key words. So don't know where to look within the threads.

Can anyone help with search tips?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Jancis - did you search for the string "lost clothing" (including quotation marks) or did you search for lost clothing?

The former gives me 4 threads (including this one), while the latter gives me 3 pages worth. The thing is, the latter one finds all occurances of the words lost and/or clothing which may well not be what you are looking for.

However, the words you search for should be in red, so I'm not sure why they aren't being highlighted in your search.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Jennifer,
I guessed it was me being thick! No I didn't search with key words in quotation marks. Just tried your tip and bingo!!!!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The problem is (and I don't really have a solution) is that such a search doesn't pull up "missing dress" or "clothes that are lost" or even "missing clothing".

Searches can be very difficult. You might get your best responses by simply posting a thread "Having a problem with clothes going missing in care home" or something similar.