touching everything

blueviolet

Mar 1, 2015
Hi all I haven't posted for a while as hubby has been in and out of respite to give me a break. Just wondered if anyone's spouse/partner is continually picking things up and attempting to destroy whatever it is by twisting, squeezing or biting. Recently he had attempted to lift the tv off the cabinet, he knocked over our grandfather clock last week and smashed all the glass. He unscrews any knob he can find upstairs or downstairs. Door handles get grabbed and forcefully pushed in fact his hands are continually seeking for something to demolish. His nature isn't to be destructive but he obviously gets a satisfaction from all this. My husband has frontal temporal lobe dementia and hasn't been able to communicate for around 8 years so I'm sure frustration plays a big part in all this. I have tried all the gadgets and sensory games but he's just not interested. I can't blame this on medication as he is only on the occasional diazepam when needed and even they don't always work. Would love to hear if anyone else has similar problems. Oh I forgot to mention that there is usually a tirade of babbling going on alongside.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi Blueviolet

My wife has FTD and is constantly "tidying". She wanders around picking up anything and everything, relocating items as she goes. So the ornament on the front room widow sill ends up wrapped in a tea towel in the dinning room, the remote controls "disappear" (often to the kitchen bin) and scatter cushions live up to their name!:D

If I manage to snatch an hour upstairs on my laptop (like now), it often takes 10 minutes or so to put everything back.

Hey ho.

Phil

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that what you describe is common with FTD.
Diazepam is not a good choice of drug for someone with FTD - it can make them more aggressive/restless.
Perhaps now is the time to contact the doctor/memory clinic/community medical team for a review of medication.

blueviolet

Mar 1, 2015
Thanks for your replies Philbo and Canary. My cushions also get scattered and pummelled too! I think you are right regarding the Diazapam as my husband is a lot more restless and has angry spells which link up with when he has had a pill. I had been thinking of phoning the memory clinic for a review of his meds. Thanks again it always helps a little to share our burdens.