Top Ups - Please help

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I know I have read so many posts about top ups but today it has affected me so I need some fresh advice and I'd really appreciate your help.

Mum has agreed to respite care on discharge from hospital. The REACT team have said she will need to pay top up fees, I spoke to them directly, so I know it is what they are saying, I know have read loads on top up fees, but if she as little savings, less than 23k much much much less, please help as this is a distressing time for me, one I have put off for years but one that has become inevitable.

What are the rules on respite for a few weeks and top up fees.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is this just respite? Because the fees you pay for respite are rather different to "top-up" fees. The LA will assess you mum to see how much she should contribute and they will pay the rest. Now if you were being asked pay on top of that, that would be a top-up fee but it doesn't sound like you are.

Respite care isn't really covered by CRAG. Even though temporary placements are. I think how much your mother might be charged for respite is entirely down to her LA, but I can't swear to that.

Edited to add

Screen shot 2014-07-24 at 8.03.16 PM.png

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
On thinking more: they may be saying that she needs to pay but the people saying this may not actually know. I would wonder why this didn't come under the category of the NHS, since it is to do with her ongoing needs. Or perhaps this is one of those cases where they will help to facilitate it but it isn't strictly speaking medically necessary.

I think I would call the helpline.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
On thinking more: they may be saying that she needs to pay but the people saying this may not actually know. I would wonder why this didn't come under the category of the NHS, since it is to do with her ongoing needs. Or perhaps this is one of those cases where they will help to facilitate it but it isn't strictly speaking medically necessary.

I think I would call the helpline.

Hi Jennifer. Which helpline are you referring to?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have you enquired about the 6 weeks free reablement or intermediate care this she might be able to obtain.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi,
I have no knowledge of top ups other than so many say don't pay them. The one thing I am certain about is the actual person having the care cannot pay the top up. It has to be paid by a third party which I expect would be you.

Jay x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
When Roger went in to respite, he was assessed to find out what he was expected to pay and it ended up as a very small amount per day and SS/local authority paid the balance.

This was however an emergency situation'

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thank you all, it has now been decided that she cannot have respite as there is none available but she can have carers into her home. I don't know why the powers that be can't understand that none of them have ever lasted longer than a week before she kicks them out.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I so love my new job, my customers and I have fun and we laugh together, I really don't want to give it up, but without support it is impossible to do both. This disease is awful.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I know it is difficult Nora but don't give up without a fight.

I know you are a fighter and this job is wonderful, just what YOU need.

Let them try and when they fail, let them find another way.

Jay x