1. Onlychildlives

Onlychildlives Registered User

Nov 2, 2015
    hello, I am new today and so happy to have found you all. I wonder if any of you cannot afford Top Up Fees for Care Home? I am only child, with chronic long term illness. I live on disability to pay for the Care I need. Mother will need support from authorities fairly soon in the funding,mall homes seem to have a top up of £50-75 per week! Can only be paid by a third party, me or a charity. We have not yet been offered a home without Top up though they are supposed to. What will happen next. mum awaits bed in Care, in hospital.

2. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Hello , Welcome to TP.
    Sorry I can't help regarding top ups as I have no experience with care homes.
    Others here do though, so keep checking here.
    I just couldn't reed and not reply as I'm guessing you must be really worried , I also wanted to give your post a bump up to the top.

3. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    The top-ups around here were around £300 a week for Nursing homes though I think Care homes are a little cheaper.
    However, nobody is obliged to pay any sort of top-up unless the LA have found a care home which satisfies all the resident's needs and it has been rejected. Top ups are supposed to be paid for extra demands such as a nice view, larger room etc.
    You just say you cannot afford it.

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    The LA must offer at least one placement, top up only become payable when the resident or their representative rejects that offer.

Don't be fobbed off.

12. A person must not be asked to pay a ‘top-up’ towards the cost of their accommodation
    because of market inadequacies or commissioning failures and must ensure there is a
    genuine choice. The local authority therefore must ensure that at least one option is available
    that is affordable within a person’s personal budget and should ensure that there is more
    than one. If no preference has been expressed and no suitable accommodation is available
    at the amount identified in a personal budget, the local authority must arrange care in a more
    expensive setting and adjust the budget accordingly to ensure that needs are met. In such
    circumstances, the local authority must not ask for the payment of a ‘top-up’ fee. Only when
    a person has chosen a more expensive accommodation can a ‘top-up’ payment be sought.
    Paragraphs 19 and 20 set out guidance on Additional Costs.

Annex A Page 397

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../file/366104/43380_23902777_Care_Act_Book.pdf