Top Up Fees

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
What happens if you cannot afford the top up fees?
I am waiting for a placement to become available for my husband. After 6 weeks I'm also still waiting for a financial assessment. In the meantime I've contacted care homes to find out about fees and top up fees. Unfortunately those who do not charge top ups have not placements available. The that has - and would be a good match for him - does charge. The care home fees are likely to be funded by our local authority as his assets are below the threshold. However, who then covers the top ups - I can't being out of work.
Would he have to stay where he is now (hospital dementia care facility) until a place with no top ups becomes available?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @DennyD

If there is no available place in a home which does not need top up fees I should imagine the Local Authority would be duty bound to find the next best place.

I cant see you being expected to pay a top up especially if you are out of work. In any case I personally find it most unfair but I don`t make the rules.

Perhaps you could contact Dementia Connect. They are the best people to know exactly what you can and cannot expect from your local authority

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Top-up fees are paid for by a third party - usually family, but they are something that you choose to do, they are not expected of you (even if there is emotional blackmail for you to do so) and in your position I would not even think about trying to pay them.

As sylvia has said, the LA has to provide at least one home that will meet his needs and will accept their fees. If there are none, then they need to up the fee they are willing to pay (though they may drag their feet a bit)

You will have to work with the hospital SW. There will be somewhere for him, but make it quite clear that you are not in a position to pay top-up fees.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09