Took out loan for holiday

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hi all
We are going.
Info please.
Ron has Parkinson's, and Lewy bodies. So bad on leg's, cannot stand up for long. How do I get him to the airplane ? wheelchair ? Bad on getting up and down out of the sitting position. Bad on , well, pee pee, need to go on a 4 hour flight to Cyprus. Have been told we can have Ron fitted with a sheath, attached to his leg, and it will last the flight. Anyone have any info on this?.
Might be the last holiday we will go on.
I need to get it right.
If you can help, well, I thank you.
And again, I also thank the person who offered help to us. I am so stupid, should have said yes.
Barb & RonX:)

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Barb & Ron,
As a disabled person and having a wheelchair. When tickets were booked stated disabled person and I always got taken through and on to plane first.
Seat on plane was always excellent whichever airline we used.
Do have a lovely holiday.
Love from
Christine

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Barb and Ron

To put your mind at rest you can ring the airline and your travel agent will give you the number if you have difficulty finding it. You can then discuss your needs direct and hopefully they will do all they can to cater for them.

How exciting a holiday to Cyprus. When will you be going?

Love Helen

desperado

Apr 7, 2008
Lancashire England
If you contact the airline they should be able to provide "lift on" "lift off" facility. This is a lift that takes people who cannot manage the steps to the aircraft to the level of the entrance into the plane. You will be taken to the aircraft before the other passengers so you need to check in early. The "wee wee" problem is something you will need to arrange with the Dr/SS prior to departure. The airline will accommodate any needs but cannot always provide them.
Have a great holiday !!!

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Thank you one and all

Other's think I am mad to try.
Remember, toilet's in hotel's have no grab rail's, nor do the shower's Anyone, experience of the grab rail's you see advertised in the newspapers, the one's you can take on holiday?
They just stick to tiles with a clamp, I could fit them in the suitcase, with the kitchen sink I alway's take with us, (Joke):D
BarbX

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
experience of the grab rails you see advertised in the newspapers,

I'll tell you next week.

We ordered two via Amazon this week, they arrived today and we are taking them to fit them in a place in Swansea.

The instructions do say they don't take a person's weight. They are just an aid. Apparently they work on tiles, flat walls etc.

We will test them tomorrow.

Cheapest place we found for them was Amazon, a seller there, and service was examplary.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Others think I am mad to try

Yes you are totally bonkers. :)

Just as I was the same in taking Jan away the last time I did.

But I'm glad I did it as there will never be a question in my mind "should we have made one last trip?", because we did that.

I can sleep knowing that I eked the last drop of pleasure from our holidays and also that to go once more would have been too much for her.... and me.

Good luck, but make sure you have contingency arrangements and that you have tried to put some valid holiday insurance in place - I think you must disclose the situation.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Just to say ..

Barb, I hope you and Ron have a brilliant holiday in Cyprus and things which might go wrong DON'T.

Very Best Wishes

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Go for it Barb. I'm sure you are a determined, resourceful person! The offer of a loan of the wheelchair still applies if you need it
xxTinaT

Alison K

Mar 29, 2008
london
bag etc

hi Barb, the bags etc and I'm going back a few yrs- the device you are thinking of is like a condom with an end which fits onto leg bag. get district nurse or someone to show you how to fit so its comfy. Cyprus is lovely my husbands family re from there. have a lovely time Ali

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
You are all wonderful, make me feel so positive

Bruce, did you try the grab rail's today?
And the sheath for the plane, already in place. Thank you
Kind offer of a wheelchair from Gigi.
YES, we are going.
Had to wait for my bank to process the money, could not book holiday untill then. Well it is in place now, so Monday am, make sure insurance in place, book hol. Cannot wait.
Just one thing, Need a blow up air seat for Ron, for plane and restaurant chair's. Any advice please?
You lovely lot:D
Barb @ Ron X
PS
Bruce re read your post, ordered them yesterday, will not arrive untill next week. So, tell me next week please, Barb

Last edited:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hi Barb,

I hope you and Ron have a super holiday..I think you are very brave...but...
Kind offer of a wheelchair from Gigi.

Sorry..is that a mistype..I don't have a wheelchair, Barb..:confused:

Love gigi xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Barb & Ron,
The Chemist can order blow up seats and they are not too expensive. I ordered mine through local Chemist and it was brilliant plus a neck support as well.
Good Luck and do not forget the sunscreen.
Love to you both
Christine

p.s. St. John's Ambulance highers out wheelchairs.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Bruce, did you try the grab rails today?

Only just walked in the door on return from Swansea.

Yes, I took them down and tried them.

The instructions say two things:

1. they can be attached to any flat surface

2. when being attached it says 'attach to tiles'

The rails are amazing, they stick so hard to tiles that I reckon they are more likely to pull the tiles off the wall than come off the tiles themselve. Incredible.

However, they don't attach to a plaster wall, no matter how flat.

So, absolutely recommended for use in a tiled area.

There are a few different types about and the supplier we used through Amazon is Cosyback http://www.cosyback.co.uk/index.php...ducts_id=486&zenid=0ldsplk49mj9psi1ths18vlm01

This is not advertising - just clarification of the one safety item I am describing. [and i have no connection with the company!]

We are going to order two more, for other uses as there was a 10% off voucher with our order.

The paperwork does say "not to take full weight", so as with all these things, you need to be careful.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
You see, I do need a holiday.

Tina,
and Gigi,. Brain having a senior moment, and one drink too many last night.
Thank you Tina, Wheelchair, thank you Gigi for lot's of other things, in fact thank's, to one and all.
Barb:)

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Thank's Bruce

Into the suitcase they will go.
They are just to steady Ron in the shower.
Barb & Ron:)
I have It's a Wonderful life on DVD, we watched it today.
My all time best ever film. Ron, think's it is a bit soppy, but he watched it.
Just show's, we all have a purpose, all of us. And we were all put here for a reason.
Barb

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
it.
Just show's, we all have a purpose, all of us. And we were all put here for a reason

I'll second that, Barb..although the purpose isn't always clear at the time....

Hope you and Ron are ok

Love gigi xx