Too much to do

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
I have spent my only day off for the past 2/3 months travelling over an hour each way to visit my mum. She was in hospital recently so I visited every other day, and worked till 10pm to catch up.
Today I am meeting with 2 care agencies to arrange daily visits for my mum.
I run a very busy caravan park with arrivals till late evening. I have cover for my days off but still have paperwork to sort out which is behind. My own housework gets done whenever I have 5 minutes, and I have to call care agencies, meals on wheels, daycare, GP etc whenever I can, usually over lunch.
I broke down in tears in a recent work meeting as I just can't go on at this pace.

Pinkys

Nov 13, 2014
South of England
I just can't go on at this pace.

Nope, you can't!

I do not know your circumstances so cannot make concrete suggestions. However, I know that sometimes it can be helpful to step back and think, How could I do this differently? Recently a friend was in sobbing shreds over a problem, which anyone outside could see was easily solvable. And indeed she solved it, once she stepped back and realised her emotional reaction was preventing her thinking straight.

If you run a caravan park, you must be white hot at organisation and customer relations etc. You will have super skills of delegation, prioritisation and time management. Could you think of the situation with your mother as a 'work issue'? and find some way to do it differently? You may have to be cruel to be kind, for example, visiting less often, in order to be able to keep visiting at all.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Moorcroft

Nov 4, 2015
I've felt very similar myself recently. I and my husband have had to attend to my mother's needs almost every day for the last few weeks, sometimes all day. Other priorities have got neglected and it has put stress on our marriage.

My solution has been to book a holiday for myself in September. If I'm not even in the country, then others are going to have to step in and cover me.

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
Thanks for your support. As suggested I put my organising hat on and arranged carer visits to start ASAP with a good agency. Hopefully I will only have to visit every other week now. Mum even seemed to understand what was happening and seemed pleased!!!
My husband has arranged 2 days off next week without telling me as a surprise, and I've got a cruise booked in September.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan