Toilet Troubles

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Evening all.........I was hoping somebody might have some advice about toilet problems. Tonight when I put dad to bed I noticed a funny smell. When I changed his clothes I noticed (not for the first time) that he had badly soiled his underpants. When I asked him if he was having problems wiping his bum (sorry to be so graphic) he said no. I cleaned him up and sorted him out but worried this may be the start of an incontinence issue and wondered if anybody had any advice on how to keep him clean? Doesn't help that I have a really sensitive gag reflex.

If you asked me 3 years ago what i do on a Friday night I would have said meal out with my husband and few glasses of wine..................oh Alzheimers how I do love you.......NOT !!!!!

Thanks in advance xx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
See if you can get him to make an appointment with his GP or the Continence Service - you can self refer to this in several areas.

Also try and find out if he is constipated, this can cause bypass diarrhoea.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
This is an issue I am currently dealing with, with Mil, sadly - not sure if she is forgetting to use loo paper, or if she has forgotten actually how to?

Our solution at the moment - which also helps with the fact that she has stress incontinence of urine - is that when she is using the loo first thing, I set out her clothes and I slip a small incontinence pads into her knickers. As long as she doesn't actually see me doing this, she will then dress and not mention them - these not only contain any small ammounts of urine, but mean that any small amounts of poo are caught be the pad, and I can just bag and bin it, without having to deal with 'scrapping' off the knickers.

HTH xxx

jpk

Jun 10, 2014
warrington, cheshire
toilet problems

My wife has suffered from Vascular Dementia for the past 7 years. Toilet issues had to be tackled with me going to the toilet with her, every time. She does need help getting toilet paper, but she still cleans herself. I coax her into whatever she needs to do and she does it herself.

When she broke her right shoulder and cracked her right wrist I had to do all the cleaning. She was ok with that and has resumed her normal routine now that the shoulder has healed. Don't feel embarrassed you will get over it. She needs your help.