Toilet trouble

leafylaine

Dec 16, 2016
Hi. I've just encountered a new problem I wanted to share in the hope that some of you may have some advice. My dad has mid-stage Alzheimer's and has been capable of using the toilet on his own. Recently I have noticed some soiling in his underpants and have now realised that he is getting confused with the process of wiping after a bowl movement. He also seems to be very confused about whether or not he has been to the toilet and last week I had a whole saga with going to the GP under false pretences because he said he had blood after toileting, but it was in fact just faeces.
I'm not sure what to do next, as I don't think that he should be wearing 'nappies' just yet, but I also don't know how to help him understand the difference between pooing and weeing and how to deal with each process properly. I am trying to help him to be as independent as possible - he still lives alone at the moment, although he has me (his daughter) with him 5 days per week and a carer helps the other two days, though she won't do personal hygiene work.
If anyone could suggest how to cope with this new problem I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Champers

Jan 3, 2019
My mother had a few very similar incidents last month. Like your father, she told me she was passing blood and that there was some stains on her bedding. She kept wanting to go and was anxious because every time she wiped herself, there was more and more faeces on the toilet paper. Her doctor referred us to A&E as she was concerned that she could feel a lump when she did an internal. A full X ray revealed mother was actually very, very constipated so the staff did an enema there and then plus laxative tablets.
Is it possible your dad is just a bit constipated too? I was worried about mother not being able to keep herself clean but it was - sorry to be graphic - just excess faeces leaking out. Once it was sorted, she’s been fine.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hopefully, as Champers says, it's something that is easy to sort out. However, if your dad is getting confused in the toilet it might be worth finding him a carer who will do personal care. It's almost inevitable that he will need help with this eventually.

I kept dad's carer that he was familiar with but added a morning care visit with someone who initially prompted and eventually helped him with his morning routine. I added more visits as his needs increased.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I’m sure that not all elderly people with dementia need the same level of care but for the past year (7 years into dementia) I have accompanied my husband to the toilet and gone back when I think he’s finished to make sure he is clean. Neither of us could ever have envisaged such a thing but needs must.

leafylaine

Dec 16, 2016
Thank you all for your replies and helpful advice. I think it was just a passing phase for now and, yes, a bit of constipation that confused matters more. I guess it's just inevitable that this issue will become more problematic as the condition advances! Good luck everyone. X