toilet problems

jean3

Oct 18, 2007
South Lakes
Mum seems afraid of sitting on the seat because of the hole, that she would fall in. She will put the lid down before sitting and relieving herself. I wondered about a toddler toilet seat as that would narrow the hole - but they're white and she's used to a wooden seat. It could be a waste of money so wondered if anyone had tried this or found another solution??

Many thanks
Jean

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Hi, you could try a commode where theres handles at each side that she could hold on to and the hole is smaller. I have them at home for my mum and i got them from SS free of charge. They're not that good to look at but i believe you can buy ones that look like an item of furniture. I tried the frame that you can get to go over the toilet bowl in the bathroom but that didnt work, ive had no problems with the commode.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
When my husband was in hospital last year on the ward they had a frame with a narrower plastic aperture under the seat which stood over the loo. They also had normal frames but this one definitely made the hole look smaller and fitted over a standard loo. Maybe even just a frame she could hold onto would help her feel more secure. I don't know about your area but here there is a red cross depot who have this sort of equipment you can borrow. It is free but most people make a donation to their funds. I borrowed a folding wheelchair from them when my husband was first discharged from hospital and it was a godsend and you can try it out without making any outlay. Maybe the local Occupational Therapist might also be able to suggest something. They were very kind here.

jean3

Oct 18, 2007
South Lakes
Thank you both

We have a commode downstairs but she'll go on the floor rather than use it. Will contact the Independent Living Centre run by the OTs. We're awaiting a bath lift from them (6 mths waiting list!)

Jean

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Good luck with the OT's Jean. They were very quick to get a frame around the toilet for my mum and also a 'raised' seat to go on top so that she didn't have so far to stoop to sit down. I don't know if this might help.