Toilet problems

Ahjcdc

Aug 20, 2016
Mum is 97 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014. She lives in her own home in Wales 60 miles away. My husband and I are her only carers. She is very stubborn and fiesty and so far has refused all offers of help from AS, her Doctor, the memory service and SS. We managed to install Telecare and a warden is supposed to visit twice a week but phones because of Covid.
We have continued to visit during lockdown to provide food and try and get washing. Mum doesn't change her clothes and it's a battle to get her to do so. Her toileting habits have been a cause for concern for sometime and are getting worse. She normally gets to the toilet in time, but will soil the seat, the floor, basin and towels. Her clothes can be soiled and there is often faeces under her finger nails. If I mention the problem she gets very angrey and last time told me to get out and never visit her again. I try and clean when we visit but she gets cross if I do as she thinks she does everything. I think she needs carers ( and a cleaner ) but she would never agree. Being so far away doesn't help and she won't move. I just don't know what to do, any suggestions?
her

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
@Ahjcdc I'm sorry, I haven't been in your situation. Do you have PoA for finance & health? What about getting in contact with her doctor and SS because she is becoming a danger to herself and is vulnerable? I don't know the legalities in Wales but I hope someone who does will come along.

Ahjcdc

Aug 20, 2016
@Ahjcdc I'm sorry, I haven't been in your situation. Do you have PoA for finance & health? What about getting in contact with her doctor and SS because she is becoming a danger to herself and is vulnerable? I don't know the legalities in Wales but I hope someone who does will come along.
We have POA for health and finances. I have been to the doctor's many times, she is aware of the situation and suggested an incontinence nurse but Mum refused and wouldn't engage. Mum has a social worker who will only become involved if there is a crisis, she suggested I contact the doctor or the Alzheimer's society! Unfortunately due to covid 19 this has proved somewhat difficult.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Do you think you could sneak in some carers and/or a cleaner using the old "local girls needing work experience" routine @Ahjcdc ? Would your mum be more receptive if she though she were helping them, rather than the other way round?