Toilet obsessions

Maryicloud

Jan 30, 2020
Hi everyone, I am new to Talking Point, and am desperate for some help or advice. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 4 years ago, we’ve muddled through pretty well until recently when there has been a sharp decline in his ability to function. The latest obsession is driving me mad, he visits the loo between 25/30 times a day, sometimes during the night too. We’ve had every test available, culminating in a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago, everything is negative, bloods fine, and I know he can’t “go” every time he visits the loo. At my wits end as to how to break this cycle. Has anyone else experienced this? He won’t leave the house “just in case”. HELP!! Any suggestions or explanation would be most welcome.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum. I haven't experienced the same thing but as a medical cause has been ruled out it sounds like it may be anxiety related, which is common in those with dementia. It might be worth speaking to the GP or memory clinic to request a medication review as there may be something they can give to help with the anxiety.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
We don't have this problem at home yet but certainly when we are out there is much conversation about the toilet! If I leave him for few minutes, ie to make a purchase or go to the toilet myself it comes on and certainly before we leave anywhere. We have worked out that it is due to anxiety in general and especially fear of having an accident. I try to reassure him that if he 'goes' before we leave anywhere and we know where all the public toilets are (including places like pubs, McDonald's and supermarkets) everything will be fine.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I also think this may be related to incontinence. Perhaps he's had a couple of accidents or 'near misses' and this has made him anxious.

Could you suggest wearing incontinence pants/pads? (Or just get him some!) If he knows his trousers are not going to give him away if it happens, he may relax a little.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Anyone with continence issues may find that a RADAR key (available from disability aids suppliers and online) is useful.
This gives easy access to locked disability friendly toilets and changing. These tend to be bigger than standard loos, easier for changing pads and can avoid queues

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree it could be caused by anxiety, your husband perhaps feeling the need to go and being afraid to wet or soil himself.

Perhaps this could be helped by anxiety reducing medication. Your husband`s doctor may afree to this.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother also went through a longish phase of constantly going to the toilet, even when she had just been 10 minutes earlier (but she didn't remember). She used going to the toilet as a reason to get out of whatever situation was causing her anxiety.

As @Grannie G and @Louise7 have suggested, why don't you speak to the GP regarding some anxiety-reducing medication? I personally would avoid the ones ending in 'pam as they are addictive but there are many more options.

Maryicloud

Jan 30, 2020
Welcome to the forum. I haven't experienced the same thing but as a medical cause has been ruled out it sounds like it may be anxiety related, which is common in those with dementia. It might be worth speaking to the GP or memory clinic to request a medication review as there may be something they can give to help with the anxiety.
Thanks Louise, unfortunately already on anxiety reducing meds, GP fully involved, running out of options!

Maryicloud

Jan 30, 2020
Already on anxiety reducing meds, has been for 3 years and have just upped dose, also have introduced pads, no change. Thanks for replying

Maryicloud

Jan 30, 2020
I also think this may be related to incontinence. Perhaps he's had a couple of accidents or 'near misses' and this has made him anxious.

Could you suggest wearing incontinence pants/pads? (Or just get him some!) If he knows his trousers are not going to give him away if it happens, he may relax a little.

Maryicloud

Jan 30, 2020
Thanks so much for reply, already tried pads, and he’s had increased dose of anti anxiety meds, nothing seems to work. Onwards and upwards!

Maryicloud

Jan 30, 2020
My mother also went through a longish phase of constantly going to the toilet, even when she had just been 10 minutes earlier (but she didn't remember). She used going to the toilet as a reason to get out of whatever situation was causing her anxiety.

As @Grannie G and @Louise7 have suggested, why don't you speak to the GP regarding some anxiety-reducing medication? I personally would avoid the ones ending in 'pam as they are addictive but there are many more options.

Maryicloud

Jan 30, 2020
Many thanks for suggestions, he’s been on Sertraline for 3 years, and have recently upped dose, but had no effect, also introduced pads, still no change. He barely leaves the house now, but still goes every 10 mins or so, well he
visits, not necessarily productive!!