Toilet issues

Beaky144

Nov 3, 2014
Hi everyone

I'm looking for some ideas/help with my mums latest problem. In summary my mum is 66 and following a drastic decline she was diagnosed with FTD in June 2014 and sectioned under the mental health act due to the extreme psychosis she was suffering from. Following a review doctors and social workers agreed she couldn't live alone or with me and she was moved to a care home in November 2014 where she has been ever since.

Her decline mentally has continued on a steep downward path and she has been fixated on a number of things in the past year but her most recent fixation is on the need to go for a poo. I do not know if she is constipated and gets frustrated by this or just thinks she needs a poo even when she doesn't. It means that she is constantly saying she needs a poo and trying to go. Now she has started putting her fingers up her bum (in a bid to get the poo out) which results in filthy hands and underwear. As she is overeating and unable to wash her hands this is likely to result in an infection. Today for the first time (in my knowledge) she tried to do a poo standing up in the middle of the home. She didn't say she needed to toilet and was fully dressed and nowhere near the toilet.

Does anyone have any tips on this sort of issue as I am completely and utterly at a loss.

Thanks

Jo x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Hi Jo.

My mum is obsessed with poo, wee, the toilet and everything associated with it. She constantly says she needs to poo and there is no telling if it's a real need or in her head. She spends hours in the bathroom has had at times strained so hard that she has caused her self minor injuries.

We try and distract which isn't easy and ensure she visits the loo on a regular basis. Tonight she asked me if she could just go where she was with out visiting the bathroom or taking her underwear down.

As your mum is living in residential care are the staff aware of her regular her movements are and whether she is potentially constipated. I can only suggest at this moment to ensure your mums finger nails are kept short. Sorry.

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Hi Jo

Echo the response about keeping your mum's nails short. Also you might want to speak to the home about this, as I'm sure this won't be the first time they've encountered it. Perhaps your mum's not drinking enough so she can go regularly, a common problem in both older people and those with dementia.

Would incontinence pants help the situation?

Sorry can't help more, but best wishes to you. x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
She needs something like Fybogel to keep her regular and incontinence pads. Both of this is really the care home's responsibility to sort out.

Beaky144

Nov 3, 2014
Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought about the possibility that she isn't drinking enough. I think I'll have to raise this with the care staff as they are, as you say, the people who need to be and should be monitoring this more closely. I'll also mention the pads as being probably necessary now. I'm seeing her tomorrow so will make sure her nails are short as well. Thanks again xxx

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
Hi everyone

I'm looking for some ideas/help with my mums latest problem. In summary my mum is 66 and following a drastic decline she was diagnosed with FTD in June 2014 and sectioned under the mental health act due to the extreme psychosis she was suffering from. Following a review doctors and social workers agreed she couldn't live alone or with me and she was moved to a care home in November 2014 where she has been ever since.

Her decline mentally has continued on a steep downward path and she has been fixated on a number of things in the past year but her most recent fixation is on the need to go for a poo. I do not know if she is constipated and gets frustrated by this or just thinks she needs a poo even when she doesn't. It means that she is constantly saying she needs a poo and trying to go. Now she has started putting her fingers up her bum (in a bid to get the poo out) which results in filthy hands and underwear. As she is overeating and unable to wash her hands this is likely to result in an infection. Today for the first time (in my knowledge) she tried to do a poo standing up in the middle of the home. She didn't say she needed to toilet and was fully dressed and nowhere near the toilet.

Does anyone have any tips on this sort of issue as I am completely and utterly at a loss.

Thanks

Jo x

My feelings for you trying to figure out a solution. I think the suggestions already made are good. In addition a few points:

1. I have been told that usually these behaviours are a phase which passes.
2. The underlying cause might be that she is adjusting to her new environment.
3. Have you thought that. Maybe she needs more activities or social interaction , maybe she has too much time to keep getting into this cycle, and more activities might displace the behavior.
4 regarding more activities, then consider more physical exercise, since this not only is a distraction , will have a calming effect, but it also helps a lot with digestion and constipation. You could change her care plan for 6 weeks along these lines to see whether it helps.
5. If it has continued over some time , then document the history, and then can you get the GP to consider other options such as double checking thee is no blockage, or, prescribing meds for anxiety.
6. Does the food suit her ? Is she getting enough roughage, her carers should be record whether she is eating fruit and veg (which is not the same as ...is she offered fruit and veg)
7 I am not sure how it works in care homes but does she have a psychiatric nurse if so what do they suggest since this must be an infection risk to your mum and other residents

Probably you are thinking well aren't the care home responsible, well maybe they need a prod into further action?