Toe nail fell off

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
My mum who is bed bound has lost a toe nail over the night,it was expected as her 2 nails on her big toes were not looking that great and it was only a matter of time,has anyone had experience of this,I'm not sure if it will grow back,or it would need to be looked at.
Shall I call the chiropodist or could a community nurse see if it looks ok?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
My Dad recently had his big toe nail removed. It won't grow back, but the toe was painful for about 6 weeks afterwards. He had to paint some antibiotic liquid onto where the toe nail had been and change the dressing every day to prevent any infection. Probably best to get the GP or community nurse to take a look.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
My Dad recently had his big toe nail removed. It won't grow back, but the toe was painful for about 6 weeks afterwards. He had to paint some antibiotic liquid onto where the toe nail had been and change the dressing every day to prevent any infection. Probably best to get the GP or community nurse to take a look.
Hi I think that's a good idea,I shall ring them now

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I rang the doctors surgery and they are going to call me back,I'm hoping they can send out one of their visiting nurses that have often come to see mum in the past,that will save paying a chiropodist,although they may just say it's a matter for a chiropodist

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
The doctor said it will be ok when he rang,he wasn't concerned,he asked if it was red or hot,which it isn't so I will keep my eye on it,that's saved a £40 call out from the chiropodist who I was thinking about calling but decided to get the doctors opinion first,he seems to think it wont grow back

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Just reading the title of this thread gave me the shudders, I am very funny about toenails.

Did your mum have any toenail infection because that can cause them to fall off. If so it will probably regrow. I have heard that tea tree oil is very good for nail infections. Google it and you will see.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Just reading the title of this thread gave me the shudders, I am very funny about toenails.

Did your mum have any toenail infection because that can cause them to fall off. If so it will probably regrow. I have heard that tea tree oil is very good for nail infections. Google it and you will see.
Thanks I will have a look at that