"Toddler" Accident

witchpig

Dec 31, 2011
Maidstone Kent
Yesterday while shopping with mum, She made a funny sound and then informed me she had pood herself, It stank as well. I dealt with it as if she was a toddler, calmed her down, Cleaned her up. I took her straight home for a bath, When I helped her get undressed she had mess all down her legs and nearly into her shoes.

All through the incident I treated her with dignity and didn't make a fuss. It did embarrass her.

My questions are: Did I do right with the way I dealt with it? Is there any pads I can get her for when we go out? Should I tell her DRs? as it seems this isn't the first or second time it has happened.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes there are pads and you should be able to obtain them through the Continence Service. Meanwhile you can buy them in any pharmacy. Don't worry, these things happen and you did the right thing.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I feel for you both. This happened to my mum while we were out on her birthday. She was embarrassed too. I tried to deal with it but she doesn't like being helped with personal care so I took her back to the care home because I knew they would deal with it better than I ever could. I'm so glad I've got them. They were very calm and took her for a shower and just chatted as if nothing had happened.

It turned out mum had a tummy bug but she does wear pads now, it saves any embarrassment for her.

You dealt with it very well, it's not easy xxx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It does sound a bit from the (graphic) way you describe it that it was diarrhoea, usually there's a reason for this, as said it might be medication but also it could be diet is she eating properly, have you checked the use by dates of everything in the fridge, there could be any number of reasons. Loss of bowel control does happen but that wouldn't explain the diarrhoea, really you need to get her to the doctors as they may feel it worth testing for colo-rectal issues which should be properly investigated.
I'd look at the diet and hygiene side of things, check all the food, make sure she washes her hands, plates and that she isn't infecting herself.
As I'm sure we all know from our experiences abroad when diarrhoea strikes it is sudden, urgent and impossible to control irrespective of age (he said from bitter experience) Pads may solve the problem but not the cause which is where you should be looking. Well done you for coping so well.
K

witchpig

Dec 31, 2011
Maidstone Kent
Hi all

Took mum to the drs yesterday, explained about her accident, The dr has stopped one of her meds. It is her cholesterol one apparently its well known for the runs.

I asked about pads, the dr has said that it takes about 3 months to get a referral to the district nurse who deals with" that problem", then it will take 3 weeks for the "risk assessment". It would be easier to buy pads in the chemist.

florabunda

Nov 13, 2014
Hi Witchpig
I am shocked that your doctor says it takes 3 months to refer to DNs. Try contacting them yourself, the receptionist should give you their number. Meanwhile, Age UK do cheap inco pads.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You can buy products online and you should get them free of VAT if you fill in the exemption bit. Most companies deliver really quickly. That would keep you going until you get an appointment. This is one company but if you google 'continence products' you'll get loads of companies.

http://www.incontinencedirect.co.uk/?gclid=CKOJhtCH0MICFcjHtAodinsAZA

It is worth getting the referral though as they'll make sure she has the right product.

witchpig

Dec 31, 2011
Maidstone Kent
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I think I may be classed as being sneaky :D but ive let mum go to her eldest grandson, he is in a different area to us. She had an "accident" while she was there, he took her to his drs, explained the problem. The upshot is she has been given some pads by his drs. Its funny how getting anything on the NHS is always a lottery.

Mum will be spending Christmas with my sister, so lets hope she behaves like she has been lately and my sister can see whats been happening. :D

I know its sneaky but "you don't get older without being craftier" as my nan would have said. Lets hope it snow on the day after boxing day then I wont be able to go and get Mum to bring her home:rolleyes:

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I think I may be classed as being sneaky :D but ive let mum go to her eldest grandson, he is in a different area to us. She had an "accident" while she was there, he took her to his drs, explained the problem. The upshot is she has been given some pads by his drs. Its funny how getting anything on the NHS is always a lottery.

Mum will be spending Christmas with my sister, so lets hope she behaves like she has been lately and my sister can see whats been happening. :D

I know its sneaky but "you don't get older without being craftier" as my nan would have said. Lets hope it snow on the day after boxing day then I wont be able to go and get Mum to bring her home:rolleyes:

Too much alcohol, and you won't be safe to drive the day after, a third helping of sherry trifle perhaps?

Bod

witchpig

Dec 31, 2011
Maidstone Kent
Bod - I wish I could blame travel problems on alcohol but mum remembers that I don't drink alcohol.

My sister has been on the phone several times asking " how do you deal with mum when shes like this" ? I was very calm and said now you know what its like for me and my family. With that my children usually make the dog bark as if there is somebody at the door and my sister puts the phone down on me saying she will ring back later when my visitors have gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa