1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Today's Times Newspaper

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by MaNaAk, Sep 19, 2019.

1. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Hello Everyone!

I am probably in the wrong place here but I am letting you know that there was an article in the Times newspaper today saying that the number of pensioners having to sell their home to pay for care has risen substantially and that Boris Johnson is going to tackle this. We therefore need to let him know how to tackle it somehow.

MaNaAk

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #2 nitram, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  3. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    I think they will just make it easier for people to hold on to the home until death then funds will be paid from house sale proceeds for those having care at home which will be a lot of people with the shortage of care homes,they aren't going to foot the bill so family members can have an inheritance

4. Cazzita

Cazzita Registered User

May 12, 2018
    It's all disgusting though. Dementia is an ILLNESS, not a social care need and with illnesses you should not have to sell your home. Come on Boris!

5. witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    I completely agree with you,I always look at the worst case scenario to try in a way brace myself for any bad news like being made homeless,I hope things work out for all of us though

6. Cazzita

Cazzita Registered User

May 12, 2018
    Yes, so do I. Fingers crossed that something changes and very soon... :)

7. witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    Mind you another thing that worries me is Corbyn's pledge to raise the minimum wage to £10,mum's funds would run out very quickly then and when it gets to the stage were the LA pays how are they going to afford those higher bills,they certainly would want money from the house then:(

8. Baker17

Baker17 Registered User

Mar 9, 2016
    Totally agree it’s an illness about time it was recognised as such