today's newspapers - alzheimers contagious

Noah's Mum

Oct 15, 2014
I have never posted anything prior to today. But I am so saddened to read today's headings suggesting alzheimers may be contagious. My poor mum has gone thro the horrors of alzheimers and now the potential stigma of a 'contagious' illness?? I'm so saddened that words fail me. (please forgive me but I just had to say it to someone out there. .

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I have never posted anything prior to today. But I am so saddened to read today's headings suggesting alzheimers may be contagious. My poor mum has gone thro the horrors of alzheimers and now the potential stigma of a 'contagious' illness?? I'm so saddened that words fail me. (please forgive me but I just had to say it to someone out there. .

Since the Mad Cow plague in the mid 90's we've known that the human equivilent is CJD. People who ate infected meat could develope CJD. People who had growth hormone as a child could develop CJD. CJD can be transferred during procedures. CJD is a type of AD.

Am not sure where the News bit comes in. It just seems another way to mis-read the medical results, sensationalise them and un necessarily stigmatise ill people.

It seems like just another good reason for people not to visit their relatives.

Last edited:

Caroleca

Jan 11, 2014
Ontario canada
Awe Noah's mom....it's not worth beans! If it was "contagious" Whatever that means...so is the common cold...but not everybody gets it! True?
Carole

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
I do wish newspapers were more responsible in the way they reported things. They just scare people, and alienate people with headlines like today's unfortunately. This sort of thing should be explained fully on TV etc not just read as a quick headline and taken as gospel. I do understand why you had to get it off your chest as I felt the same when I say it. What a judgemental, shallow world we live in.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I watched it on the news myself and thought about it. They were saying it was POSSIBLY from instruments that had been used prior rather than an airborne or contact related thing but then went on to say don't worry until we know more so yes go and have an operation or go to the dentist and don't worry about it!!!! I was sat there thinking so here is a non news story. This could have as much basis on fact as autism being caused by the mmr innoculation. However that still rumbles on. Why oh why do the press jump on to this sensationalism and scare us without a shred of real and proper evidence!

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
There is a programme on Radio 4 called More or Less which shows how figures and facts can be bent to mean something else.

Eg. Ask a strange question. do you believe Elvis is still alive?

70% of people believe that Elvis is alive. Did you ask 10 people and 7 said yes? That is still 70%. If you standing outside an Elvis fan convention when you asked the question then the answers will be playing to that audience.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I understood from the news broadcasts I saw that this latest research shows a possibility of something transmitted by blood, maybe other body fluids. They specifically said it was NOT contagious. You would not avoid sitting in a room or touching someone with AIDS - same with Alzheimers, so don't be alarmed.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Don't let it upset you noahsmum. It's clear when you read further that Alzheimers is not 'contagious', as in it's not passed on by person-to-person contact. It's sensationalist reporting, and poor reporting at that. On the plus side, at least it's put Alzheimers/dementia on the front page. The more it becomes a focus for the media, the more it will be a cause taken up by others.

Noah's Mum

Oct 15, 2014
Thank u all for taking the time to respond to my earlier-today post I have found it a great support. Somehow I think I might be logging in on a more regular basis.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
A study done on 8 brains is not significant. Typical scaremongering newspapers. I was horrified when I saw the headlines today and immediately thought of the misery it would bring to so many people. It is unfair and untrue and AS have commented today that the study should not have been reported in this way and there is no medical evidence that Alzheimers is contagious.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Like everyone else I've read and heard the news.
There were proteins in brains that they expect to be also present in dementia. There were no plaques or tangles as would be expected to be seen.....not all people developed dementia and proteins were apparently found in a younger age than expected.
The reality is that the youngest diagnosis is 30..and the press are talking about people probably older!

As a carer of a parent a backer and follower of lots of research....assumption are not enough...The affect the press has had on people with dementia and their carers and families today has been cruel and uneccessary.
I urge everyone to read the piece on it on talking point alz society news and take time to read it.

Noah's Mum

Oct 15, 2014
Thank you for ur kind words of welcome kjn, my wee mum has been been living in a residential home for past 5 yrs following my brother and I caring for mum at home until it just moved beyond r capabilities. Like so many of u my heart has broken about the whole situation but I'm learning to look for the positives which include 1st class care in mum's nursing home and finding TP.