Today we said goodbye

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
I said goodbye to my mam for the last time today, we had a lovely service which was sad and funny at the same time, it was nice to remember the funny times and heartbreaking to think of her inside that box. I sat and looked at the coffin and somehow it was like it was almost not real, but the tears falling from my eyes were real enough.
I take the only comfort i can and that is now she is at peace and not demented and tortured by the evil disease.I think in the end she wanted to go and in her last week she actually said that in one of the only small sentences that could still come out.
I have learned that i am strong through this and can deal with many things.
I have cared for her, in life and death and i know in my heart that i was there for her and that helps me too.
We had a hilarious meeting the the vicar who really made it all feel better and i think i started today not feeling quite as bad as i could have.
I played her favourite songs and i hope she can hear them where ever she may be. Rip mam you will be loved forever!

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hugs Kenaidog, my Mum died recently so I can really empathise with your comments. You obviously cared well for your Mam, please make sure you care for yourself now x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I have cared for her, in life and death and i know in my heart that i was there for her and that helps me too.

I played her favourite songs and i hope she can hear them where ever she may be. Rip mam you will be loved forever!

You have done all these things through love for your Mam. Your heart was full of love for her and I hope that in the times to come you remember the love she had for you. I believe in the Spirit world and I firmly believe your Mam is free from pain and confusion. She will know your love, and she will hear the music. Love doesn't stop when death occurs; I always think that love is a legacy left by our dear departed. It makes us better people. More compassionate. Often kinder-but always enriched.

Take care

Lyn T XX

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
You have done all these things through love for your Mam. Your heart was full of love for her and I hope that in the times to come you remember the love she had for you. I believe in the Spirit world and I firmly believe your Mam is free from pain and confusion. She will know your love, and she will hear the music. Love doesn't stop when death occurs; I always think that love is a legacy left by our dear departed. It makes us better people. More compassionate. Often kinder-but always enriched.

Take care

Lyn T XX

aww thats a lovely thing to say lyn.:)

Weary

Aug 1, 2014
Feel your pain. Lost my MIL recently who was in the later stages of alzheimers and hubby is taking her ashes back to Scotland this weekend to scatter them at Loch Lomand as per her wishes.

You have to deal with so many emotions - relief, sadness , anger, guilt as you are glad its over for her and you.......The long goodbye is such a good description. You have to deal with the grief twice over - as you lose the personality and physical appearance e of the one you love slowly over the years , and then again at the death.

Take comfort in knowing you did all you could and that she cant be tortured by this hideous disease anymore. I wish you and your family a well earned rest and some peace now its over.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Feel your pain. Lost my MIL recently who was in the later stages of alzheimers and hubby is taking her ashes back to Scotland this weekend to scatter them at Loch Lomand as per her wishes.

Such a beautiful place to release your MIL's ashes.XX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife