"Today is the first of December ............"

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Today is the first of December, a month when we're s'posed to feel jolly
But life can be hard, as you look at each card, with robins, and snowmen, and holly

I think of the carers, all doing their best, like soldiers, all fighting a war,
Deprived of their sleep, yes for you too, I weep, and wish I could do something more

For those who are widowed, and those who are not, we battle to get through each day
And there is no healing, for that guilty feeling, that's stubborn - and won't go away

I think of those loved ones "The January Lads" and the others who've joined them, so dear
And the tears that have flowed, since I posted that Ode, to think it is nearly a year

I think of my John, alas, he has gone, his birthday was on Christmas Day
But just 2 days before - he struggled no more, and my darling, alas, passed away

But I can't put a veto on Christmas, I'll struggle, but nail on a smile
I'll hear bells a-ringing, and go Carol singing, though the effort may take me a while

So good wishes I'm sending to everyone here, as the days of this month are progressing
I pray you will find, some peace in your mind, and are sprinkled with love from God's Blessing

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Thank you Scarlett.
I hope the month of December will be kind to us all, but especially to you, as you bravely face the festive season, with it's reminders of your loss. Hopefully, good memories of John will sustain you, and the prayers and thoughts of so many of us on TP will be with you all the way. xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thank you brave Scarlett.

December/January will be difficult for many who have lost their loved ones. Let's hope that after all the festivities we can look forward to Spring and maybe a bit of relief from our darker emotions.

You are doing well my friend

Love

Lyn T XX

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you brave Scarlett.

December/January will be difficult for many who have lost their loved ones. Let's hope that after all the festivities we can look forward to Spring and maybe a bit of relief from our darker emotions.

You are doing well my friend

Love

Lyn T XX

As you are too. So many dreaded dates in the next few weeks, and of course the January funerals. Yes, thinking of Spring does help. xxxx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The words may speak of sadness but there is a spring in the rhythm. This is how life has to be - a constant picking up and moving forward. I know some people have health issues which make this difficult but your positive attitude is really the only way.

Good wishes to all who are having an uphill struggle.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
"Today is the first of December ............"

Funny that, Marion, my gardener came today and we were looking at one of the borders, recently cleared of oak leaves ( lovely tree, but the work it creates!) and I said, the crocuses will be through soon......

In one of the Miss Read books, Miss Clare says how much she like February 'because you can go for a walk after tea..' I look for it now and it's true ( for us anyway, may not be for you up north!)

Last edited:

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Today is the first of December, a month when we're s'posed to feel jolly
But life can be hard, as you look at each card, with robins, and snowmen, and holly

I think of the carers, all doing their best, like soldiers, all fighting a war,
Deprived of their sleep, yes for you too, I weep, and wish I could do something more

For those who are widowed, and those who are not, we battle to get through each day
And there is no healing, for that guilty feeling, that's stubborn - and won't go away

I think of those loved ones "The January Lads" and the others who've joined them, so dear
And the tears that have flowed, since I posted that Ode, to think it is nearly a year

I think of my John, alas, he has gone, his birthday was on Christmas Day
But just 2 days before - he struggled no more, and my darling, alas, passed away

But I can't put a veto on Christmas, I'll struggle, but nail on a smile
I'll hear bells a-ringing, and go Carol singing, though the effort may take me a while

So good wishes I'm sending to everyone here, as the days of this month are progressing
I pray you will find, some peace in your mind, and are sprinkled with love from God's Blessing

Thank you Scarlett, big hugs to see you through this time.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Funny that, Marion, my gardener came today and we were looking at one of the borders, recently cleared of oak leaves ( lovely tree, but the work it creates!) and I said, the crocuses will be through soon......

In one of the Miss Read books, Miss Clare says how much she like February 'because you can go for a walk after tea..' I look for it now and it's true ( for us anyway, may not be for you up north!)

I love Miss Read! Yes, you're right, I remember her in her cottage, thatched by her father ........ By the way, I am "blessed" with a whole line of oak trees, in the land behind my garden, right behind my fence, and those of my neighbours, and I swear, every leaf makes its way into my garden!

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North

Depends what time we have tea........

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
If we are soldiers Scarlett, I always think of you at the front singing and waving a flag to keep us all going.

I read Miss Read years ago and loved her books, maybe I'll try to get hold of them again, they always made me feel good.

I envy you all those oak leaves, make wonderful mould - mold?.

Peace and blessings to you Scarlett and the other January Wives, and all of us who have inevitably lost something this year.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well I got through the "first", though with grief I could burst,
But, with help, I will get through "the 2nd"

If I tackle each day, in a battle-type way
P'raps it won't be as hard as I reckoned.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Sorry, Es, they make lousy mould. Have to be kept quite wet, and a 50' X 50' X 50' tree ( roughly) produces a LOT of leaves. They decompose very very slowly in bulk - i found some at the bottom of the garden, when we first moved here, that had been there years and they hadn't decomposed at all! The thing I want in the autumn is a north wind, blows all the leaves away! We usually get a SW wind, which blows them all around the front and back! A few mixed in with other compost is OK, but I mean a few!

You can have the poplar leaves, they do make good mulch! Plus the mirabelle leaves, the quince leaves, and all the other bits and pieces!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hi Spamar, we have a mirabelle and a quince tree. Don't usually get a lot of quinces, but the mirabelle is wonderful for plums. I sweep up all the leaves from the apple trees and put them in black plastic bags with holes in and they make lovely mould in a year if they are wet when they go in the bags. It helps if you can turn the bags over a couple of times. Appreciate not nearly as many leaves as you would get from such a big oak tree, but I always wish I had more.
Sorry to have hijacked your thread Scarlett, suppose it's all about seasons and how the year turns and looking back to where we were last year. Particularly hard for you and others this year. I'm afraid the cyber Jereboam of Baileys has gone but I'm looking into having one of those special kitchen taps that usually dispense hot water installed for you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Hi Spamar, we have a mirabelle and a quince tree. Don't usually get a lot of quinces, but the mirabelle is wonderful for plums. I sweep up all the leaves from the apple trees and put them in black plastic bags with holes in and they make lovely mould in a year if they are wet when they go in the bags. It helps if you can turn the bags over a couple of times. Appreciate not nearly as many leaves as you would get from such a big oak tree, but I always wish I had more.
Sorry to have hijacked your thread Scarlett, suppose it's all about seasons and how the year turns and looking back to where we were last year. Particularly hard for you and others this year. I'm afraid the cyber Jereboam of Baileys has gone but I'm looking into having one of those special kitchen taps that usually dispense hot water installed for you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Es, nice to know I'm not alone in viewing autumn leaves as a harvest! I go over them with the mower to chop them up (with collecting bag on) and keep them in a leafcage for a year. Then I sieve it and save it for woodland plants, for planting and mulching. Very special material, leafmould.