To visit or not

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
My wife has been in hospital with a broken arm for three weeks but it was her dementia that stopped them sending her home, I have been visiting every day and they have been allowing me to visit outside of regular hours. She is 75 with no other medical problems, I am 74 with no medical problems and quite fit.
My only social contact is getting the bus to visit her but noticed yesterday the car park is not packed now so I could go by car.
The hospital web site is not showing no visitors so do I visit?
Gov advice is for over 70 to stay at home, I could take her mobile phone but she has forgotten how to use it.
I cannot decide what to do

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
How is your wife doing in hospital? Is she eating/drinking ok? Just thinking of it from my point of view, if you were my dad I wouldn't want you putting yourself at risk and going into a hospital is a risk in my view. If you do go, definitely drive. Sorry, I know that's not hugely helpful but wishing you and your wife the very best.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Thanks for that, she is not eating much and not drinking a lot so I take some of her favorite drinks in when I visit

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Thanks for that, she is not eating much and not drinking a lot so I take some of her favorite drinks in when I visit
Oh yes I've read your posts before, sorry, I should have checked. The orange juice! You must be worried sick. How close is she to discharge, do you think? Are you looking at discharge to care home? I recall you saying you can't cope at home with her unable to stand, which makes sense, but surely they want everyone who can be discharged, to be, right now. Even a respite stay (no idea if you are self funding or not)? Only issue is in care home is that you likely wouldn't be allowed to visit there either, but the care is more intense than it can be at hospital so it may put your mind at rest.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @dogdayafternoon
I find this interesting
"they have been allowing me to visit outside of regular hours"
so staff have not shown any signs of asking you not to visit
going in the car and being very careful about hygiene will help with the risk
is there a nurse who you have a good relationship with so you could chat this over with them

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
I decided to go by car, was allowed in as usual at 10:45, when I entered her room she was sitting in her chair but very agitated calling me nanna and worried about falling. The consultant arrived and said he was happy for me to keep visiting here and at another hospital they will move her to later this week. I will continue this under my postings "hospital" as they are nothing to do with the corona virus.