To separate or not to separate?

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
Last summer I had to make the very hard decision to put my parents in a CH. They are in a lovely place just 10 minutes down the road from me and I visit every other day. They took a little while to settle but in general everything has worked really well -- our objectives of keeping them together, safe, contented and near to family have pretty much been fulfilled. And I thought it was the best solution all round and could give some stability to everyone.

Now we have a new challenge. My Mum (who has Alzheimers, as does my Dad) has, since the beginning of year, started not to recognise my Dad for periods of the day. It's usually in the evening but is sometimes now in the afternoon too. She's clearly very scared by the 'stranger' with her and if people start to suggest it's her husband she gets extremely distressed and agitated. My poor Dad doesn't understand at all and I feel so terrible for him.

The number of episodes of non-recognition have been escalating over the last month and this week it's been particularly bad. In the daytime she generally knows exactly who he is and they are completely normal and chatty with each other (and any visitors). But in the later afternoon / evening it is different. On Monday evening she got so agitated in their suite (they have a couples suite in the CH) there was a concern she would be physically violent. Last night she locked him out of the room for an hour and half at 11.30pm.

The CH are being really supportive but are starting (along with the CPN who is now involved) to suggest that we might have to consider separating them if this escalates. At least for some periods of the day. They are doing their best but finding it really difficult to manage the situation. But I'm heartbroken about it. I would never have thought this would happen. I know my Dad won't cope without my Mum but I know we have to consider how to keep everyone safe.

My poor Dad doesn't understand why my usually mild mannered lovely Mum is behaving like this and why she doesn't know who he is (his Alzheimers means that he doesn't understand that she has Alzheimers) and the only blessing is that because he has no short term memory he often doesn't remember the episodes the next day.

Everything we have tried to put in place has been to keep them together - they are such a devoted couple, married for 48 years - and I'm so upset that it is coming to this. But I understand that from a CH perspective there are potentially safeguarding issues. And I of course would hate for either of them to be injured. It must also be so frightening for my Mum not knowing who she is with.

I feel like I'm back in the situation last summer when we were trying to make a decision whether to keep them at home with carers or move them to a CH. Another round of decisions - none of which I want to take. At the moment I've told the CH I need some time to think and just to monitor and see how things go. And they are fine with this and being supportive...but I can see where things are going and what the CH and CPN are thinking we need to plan for. I'm not sure whether to resist the separation suggestions or not.

So sad :(:(:(

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Bessie this is an episode which may well pass in time and of course move on to something else. It would be best for both that while she is becoming distressed they have separate bedrooms. I gather they still see each other during the day. There isn't really any other way of dealing with it as reasoning doesn't work.

Good wishes.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think that separating them at this time would be the best. Perhaps just for a month or two to see how things go.

It's sad that she doesn't recognize him, but it is also quite common.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Do you mean separating them into different rooms? not different care homes?
If it is different rooms it might be beneficial for both of them but I would only agree to it on a trial basis - say 2 months and then try them together again if they want to. It is quite scary for your Mum if she is sharing a room with someone she doesn't know at night! If it is different care homes then I would suggest trying everything else first!

I am sorry this has happened, it isn't uncommon and while the days are good it is lovely that they can spend quality time together.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Assuming as fizzie says it's different in the same home then I can't see why not.
There are plenty on here who no longer share a bedroom with their OH and if it's for the best then I'd do it without a moments hesitation. I don't think it would be harmful from the sound of it they would both benefit.
K

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
Thanks for your replies all. Very much appreciated.

It would definitely be in the same Care Home. On the evenings that things are going badly I know that it would be better if they were in separate rooms. But then there are the other evenings when they are perfectly content in their little flat as a couple. If it was always one way or the other it would be easier to know what to do. I am realistic though that things are going to get worse and it is likely to escalate and I'll probably have to make a decision to separate at some point - I suppose it is just about timing. My Dad is so reliant on my Mum that I know that separating them will cause a big deterioration in him - he seems to lose all ability to orientate himself to time and place when they are apart - so I do need to think it's the right thing and not a reaction to something that might pass.

I think I might wait another week and see how many nights it is a problem and try and weigh up the balance.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Your last post made it a bit clearer to me. It won't necessarily get worse, it will probably just change. This is a form of sundowning - when perception changes in the person's mind. Some of us have found a couple of paracetamol in the early evening just help to settle things and putting lights on and keeping the shadows away help some people too. The care home won't want to see a deterioration in your dad and if they have a little flatlet it seems a shame to change that. Perhaps the care home could find a way of managing those few hours in the early/mid evening - maybe delaying bedtime or having a snack in a different room or perhaps an evening warm shower and hot chocolate (with the paracetamol) to try to settle her down. They really should be able to be creative about this situation - they are being paid rather a lot to do so!!

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
Thanks fizzie....this is sort of how I feel about it too! I'm not going to make a big change without making sure they have tried everything else first. It's quite difficult to say to them 'try harder' though when I do know it's quite difficult and they are bound by lots of regulations and red tape.
At the moment the CH seem happy to try different ways of managing it. It's the CPN that seems a little more pushy on the separation front. I think I'm going to keep her at arms length until things become a bit clearer and we see if anything improves.

Thanks again

Crunchy

Feb 21, 2016
My parents had been together since they were childhood sweethearts, my mum got dementia first, losing her short term memory, and my dad was her carer, but they never seemed to enjoy each other's company as much, I think my dad's way of coping was teasing her, and she found it belittling. My mum went into a care home first, and she actually seemed to thrive without my dad. When he had to go into a home too, I moved them both to the same one much nearer me. My mum got really withdrawn and actively disliked having him around, which upset him. He had to be moved to a different home with an EMI unit, and strangely enough, being away from her made him happier, I think he was no longer confronted with her reticence to engage with him every day, and that was a big relief to him.
I thought I would give a positive account to help you, in case you have to separate them in the future. It's really tricky having to visit two different care homes all the time, but worth it if both are happier in the long run. Good luck xxx