To say I support one and all

beena

May 28, 2010
Cheshire
Hello to everyone on this forum -

I gained tremendous support from all in the past re my mum: I always thought that once she had gone I would have no need of TP.
I was wrong - I still miss her every day (18 months on) and the experiences of all who have gone before me make me feel I'm not bonkers in the world!
BUT ... I would say, for each and every person posting on this site (and, crucially, all of those we are aware of who are battling on alone and desperately need a helping hand - but are unable or unwilling to ask for it), we are ALL part of the human race and, how great it is, to help each other through words, or even the smallest gesture, even if we do not meet in person.
Keep strong, one and all: love to all

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi Beena
I totally agree with all you have said. Support is still needed long after the person has gone, maybe just in a different way. Dementia is so very difficult I think the illness will linger, even after the sufferer has passed away. Glad you still feel you can post and gain support.

Last edited by a moderator:

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Here here

Totally agree sometimes just posting your experiences/knowledge to others helps them and relieves you to. Everyone please keep posting - someone somewhere will need your thoughts and benefit of your experience and knowledge

xxx Benjie

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi beena,

I wasn't here for your journey but it's lovely to know it was such a help to you, and it is for me.

I am so sorry for your loss and even the distance of months and years can still not be enough to completely dull the pain. All we can do is say someone is always here to listen when the sadness is too much.

My dad has had AD for more than 7 years and is probably nearing the time we need to consider a care home, which is so terribly confronting. Glad I can some here to share the sadness and the laughter too.

Stephanie, xxx

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hi Beena,

Your post made good reading. Of course you still miss your Mum, but really we probably wouldn't have it any other way! And it is great that you can come back and just stay things as they are!

You brought home to me that the forum does actually do a whole lot more for us as individuals, way beyond giving advice and support for carees and carers. I can well imagine that it will be the same for me when Mum dies. Yes, my journey as a direct dementia carer will be over..... but there are all the others left here, whose stories I know, whom I care about...... and it is a safe place to rant, to ask, to share..... Real life doesn't offer many of those windows really does it?

TP? I wouldn't be without it! Glad you still feel a part of the group. You know the expression, 'once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic"? Well I am sure now the same is true of us. Once you have had someone with dementia, you are ALWAYS a part of that group. You know, you have been there, and that knowledge and empathy never leaves us.

Thanks for posting this. It has opened my eyes to the bigger picture here. Hugs BE

Last edited:

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hi Beena

Having lost my Mum about 17 months ago now, here I am still on TP!

Not a day goes by without me thinking of Mum and I found this thread (and the diagram really helpful)

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?52365&p=691757&viewfull=1#post691757

I am still in the world of caring, doing voluntary work for our local carers office, and it helps me enormously to be able to help others. I don't post so much on TP these days as I am out and about more, but it is still a part of my life.

Take care
Mary
x