North Bucks
To the Memory of My Lovely Lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGaloOxNkU&feature=related

Tomorrow ,14th January will be the 65th anniversary of our wedding
Helen died in 2010 just a few months after our Diamond anniversary
Time has deadened the pain but it will always be there
I still can’t get around to saying it ‘would’ have been our anniversary
It is still ‘live’
I have mentioned before of the poignant memories I have of our diamond anniversary
My wife was a lovely dancer and I couldn’t dance a step I persuaded a friend to teach me to do a waltz
I was arranging a large celebration party
I had bought a lovely diamond eternity ring ,and was to slip the ring on her finger when I tried to dance as they played a favourite tune

When Your Old Wedding Ring Was New
(An old song sung by a Jimmy Corelli He wasn’t much of a singer ,
But it was the words that mattered)

When your old wedding ring was new

And each dream that I dreamed came true
I remember with pride how we stood side by side
What a beautiful picture you made as my bride

Even though silver crowns your hair
I can still see the gold ringlets there
Love's old flame is the same as the day I changed your name

(When your old wedding ring was new
And each dream that I dreamed came true
I remember with pride how we stood side by side
What a beautiful picture you made as my bride)

Even though silver crowns your hair...
I can still see the gold ringlets there
Love's old flame is the same as the day I changed your name

But none of this was to be .her Alzheimer’s had progressed too far and the only time she had the ring on her finger was on the day of our anniversary
I never had the thrill of dancing just that one time
The diamond eternity ring is now in the loving care of our eldest granddaughter, and I know this would please her
These memories , poignant as they may be , are very precious , and when the sadness subsides I am still happy to remember what could have been
Like many people who are in a similar situation
I can only end my day with the prayer
‘that some day we shall be together again’
jim

Attachments

• LOVE£LY LADY 1.JPG
    LOVE£LY LADY 1.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 411

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thinking of you on your anniversary Jimbo.

That song was one of my mum's favourites. It wasn't to be for her either. My dad died at the age of 67 and she loved until she was 93. Beautiful sentiments in the song. x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Oh, Jimbo, such lovely memories. Helen was a very lucky lady to have had such a caring husband, and to have been married for 60 years is a huge achievement for you both.

I am sorry your anniversary didn't work out entirely as you had planned, but I am sure Helen knew how much love you had for each other, and still do have. Nothing can change that. It is great that your granddaughter has the ring and I'm sure she wears it with pride.

I shall be thinking of you both tomorrow.

Jan x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
My thoughts are with you too Jimbo,

At the beginning of David's illness we agreed to dedicating an area of our garden to roses. Those you have pictured are so similar to the ones I have here now. Some of David's ashes are nurturing them.

Fond memories for both of us.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
What a lovely post Jimbo-to go hand in hand with your lovely memories. 60 years! What an achievement.

Love from

Lyn T XX

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
My thoughts are with you too Jimbo,

At the beginning of David's illness we agreed to dedicating an area of our garden to roses. Those you have pictured are so similar to the ones I have here now. Some of David's ashes are nurturing them.

Fond memories for both of us.

Thank you BeckyJan
The rose is named 'Lovely Lady 'and I bought several of them for family and friends when Helen died
I have three in my front garden and it is always a pleasure in the summer
when the neighbours passing say it is a lovely memory of my wife , a 'lovely lady'
jimbo

Rettaere

Sep 30, 2014
Liverpool
Thinking of You x

Hi Jimbo,
My thoughts are with you and hope you are ok today,Anniversaries and special times are so hard sometimes,hope all your wonderful memories help you through today..Hugs Retta x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Well Jimbo, you've done it again. Made the tears run, that is.
What an absolutely beautiful post.
I hope your anniversary was a time of more happy memorie than sad ones.

Our Golden Wedding wasn't as we planned it the previous year either.
We thought we'd go back to Wales and invite those friends and family who came to our wedding to a small celebration at the country club where we held the wedding breakfast. Amazingly, it is still in existence.
Instead, I celebrated by taking a cake into the nursing home where Dave moved into 6 weeks earlier after being in hospital since the previous October.
By this time he had no awareness that it was anything other than an ordinary day.
Even the staff knew nothing as I was too new to say anything before hand but they congratulated us and shared the cake
In an effort to make it special, my daughters put a notice in the local paper which was unexpected and kind but it all meant nothing to Dave.

Since then, 3 years ago, I have been inclined to try to forget the day as it brings
back such sadness and this last August especially.
Now I will follow your example and dedicate the day to opening up the door to the memories we shared, no matter how many tears get shed.
So, thank you so much for that. xxx

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
How beautiful this is. Thank you for sharing it with us. It means so much to remember that love endures all. It goes with us from this world into the next. Bless...You are a brilliant writer of your thoughts.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Happy anniversary Jimbo for last week. I hope you were able to enjoy your happy memories although tinged with sadness.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN