To go on holiday or not?

Catherine.

Mar 26, 2015
My parents may have the chance of a 'holiday' in a care home run by the RAFA. Dad is newly diagnosed following an acute confused state earlier in the year. We are concerned that a change in surroundings may not be a good idea... Could it cause another acute state of confusion? We may not know unless we try. It sounds great and my mum could really do with the break. He is not at the stage of needing respite care as such. Anyone have any advice?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'm taking it it's the Royal Air Force Association in which case it would suggest your dad has some history in that branch of the services. If that's the case then going back to his earlier days in the services may be easier for him to relate to and understand.
The RAFA do have a good reputation he may benefit from seeing the blue/grey uniform and have a whale of a time. As always have a plan B in case it doesn't work out but "a change in surroundings may not be a good idea" when you go back to something familiar might work.
People who have been in the military do seem to associate with it for life, my vote, give it a go.
K

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I am with Kevini, give it a go. You would be taking him back to his past, which is where dementia is taking him but not in such a nice way. There will most likely be lots of things around that he will relate to regarding his past life

You can monitor his mood and behaviour and bring him back if it is not going well. As long as they are geared up to deal with dementia then there is a good chance it will work and Mum will get the rest she needs and deserves.

Take care and good luck.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In that kind of setting there should be good support for your parents. Sounds like a good idea. Give it a try.

Catherine.

Mar 26, 2015
Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted :)
And you are correct Kevini, dad was in the Air Force years ago and often reminisces about those days, even if it was for just 2 years!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968