To feel less alone and solely responsible for the answers

Honeyman

Oct 16, 2021
The person I support appears to be in a Dementia time where she will place herself on the floor to 'crawl' around quite happily with no injuries but has not the ability to mobilise herself to get back up, resulting in 999 or Swift being called. Is there any aid I can obtain (blow-up seating equipment)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I remember reading on here that another member used an inflatable pouffe, but I cant remember who it was. If you google "inflatable pouffe" you will get quite a few hits. I dont know if any of them will help.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they are called mangar but are very expensive to lift them off the floor but there are lots of inflatable cushions in health dept. could ask the OT to assess her and see if they have an aid that may work?

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
The person I support appears to be in a Dementia time where she will place herself on the floor to 'crawl' around quite happily with no injuries but has not the ability to mobilise herself to get back up, resulting in 999 or Swift being called. Is there any aid I can obtain (blow-up seating equipment)
The Mangar Camel Lifting chair is generally suitable for use with just one carer but is quite expensive. In some areas where a community alarm or rapid response service is available, they may often have a Mangar available.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I remember reading on here that another member used an inflatable pouffe, but I cant remember who it was. If you google "inflatable pouffe" you will get quite a few hits. I dont know if any of them will help.

It was me @canary

I used an inflatable pouffe/footstool and an electric pump I found on Amazon.

I’d get dad to lift his bum off the floor and slide the flat pouffe under him then get him to sit up. He’d hold onto his Zimmer frame and I’d stand behind him supporting his back with my legs and hold onto the frame too to keep it steady then switch on the pump and, once the pouffe was inflated, he could pull himself up. It was a bit of a faff and much easier if there were two of us but dad was too heavy to lift and it meant we could have him up in a few minutes. We’d had a few times waiting hours for help to arrive before I thought this up!

I got the idea from watching paramedics use an inflatable lifting chair when they came to help dad up and decided to improvise. It was the best £15 I ever spent…

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
OT told me they wouldn’t consider loaning lifting equipment as they didn’t provide training for carers in how to use it @Grannie G ( but they loaned hoists and provided training ?).

Dad’s carers would also have to leave the room as they weren’t allowed to lift anyone off the floor, the same was true in his carehome too.

I always thought hoists looked much scarier than our pouffe but I suppose it was also because one could be making an injury worse if the person on the floor had fallen and hurt themselves.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you @Bunpoots for clarifying.

When we paid a lot of money for a mobility bath. our social worker said they could have helped if I`d asked. It hadn`t occurred to me and after then I thought there was nothing to lose to ask first.

I might have been getting confused. A long ago member of TP was provided with an inflatable pouffe when her husband was unable to get off the floor. I think @canary is referring to the same member.

Honeyman

Oct 16, 2021
Thank you for your idea, will look into itx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My method when husband fell in the bedroom was to get him to slide to the top of the stairs. Sitting on the landing with his feet on the step below he could hold on the handrail on either side and raise himself up with my help.

OT was horrified that I did this but it worked well.

Not much use in a bungalow or downstairs though.