To all who are living with loss

Discussion in 'After dementia — dealing with loss' started by Grannie G, Dec 31, 2018.

1. ellejay

ellejay Registered User

Jan 28, 2011
    Essex
    So lovely to hear from you, Loo x

2. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    Glad to see you posting again Loo xx

3. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I’m so glad you have managed it at last Loo.
    Welcome back - now to find your way home to your thread.
    I’ll post on it so that it comes up nearer to the top of ‘recent posts’ for you to find more easily,
    I hope you are able to read the print now. x

4. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    Thank you @Loopiloo and welcome back :)

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    It`s so good to read your post Loo and to see you back on line. You have been sorely missed.

Special thoughts for you on Henry`s birthday. xx

6. caqqufa

caqqufa Registered User

Jun 4, 2016

7. Kitten71

Kitten71 Registered User

Jul 22, 2013
    East Yorkshire
    Sadly Dad didn’t make it to 2019. He died suddenly but peacefully on 30 December. By the end, he’d lost his mobility, his speech and was even struggling to swallow liquids. However, amazingly enough he had a brilliant day on Christmas Day and was wide awake throughout, even managing to polish off a three course meal! It’s incredible to think he was dead just 5 days later. Even the staff in his care home were shocked. He’d been there 2 and a half years and they loved him to bits. How lovely he was able to have a positive effect on people even when he was desperately ill xx

8. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
  9. Kitten71

Kitten71 Registered User

Jul 22, 2013
    East Yorkshire
    Yes, it’s the joyful times that see us through the sad ones. Watching dad battle his dementia has shown me what a strong and brave man he was. Not once did he complain about his illness or the future it held for him, he just got on and lived each day as fully as he could. Even in his final days, he could raise a smile and make me smile along with him too xx

10. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    That is wonderful.

11. Teddybear12

Teddybear12 Registered User

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    London
    My mother passed last July with sepsis but had AL.it was my first birthday and xmas without her.when alone i had a little tear.My sister said (when staying with her at xmas) i know i shouldn't say this but it was so inconvenient when mum was here over xmas as we didn't know what time the carer was coming time wise:(.so why did she say that! i just digested this sad comment and bit my lip as always i was mums 100% carer in her home until her passing i would have her back anytime but that's not to be

12. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    @Teddybear12 I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's insensitive comment. It's still very early days for you and I can understand how hard your must be finding this time of year especially. I'm glad you shared on here and I hope it has helped a little to share how you feel.

13. Teddybear12

Teddybear12 Registered User

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    London
    Thank you lzzy.i have a tear every time i read people's stories as i always feel we, as in my wife and i got off lightly with this terrible disease as mum only suffered around 3 years still long enough i know, but she wasn't that difficult to care for .regards

14. B72

B72 Registered User

Jul 21, 2018
    My sister, who had dementia, (amongst other things) died shortly before Christmas.

Issues
    Unfinished business. If only we could have got on better. But that wasn’t possible, we never did.

Family
    I was terribly upset by the insensitivity of some relatives. I now realise it was thoughtlessness, (by later actions), not deliberate. But it has brought a lot of bad times back.
    My son, well, I just couldn’t cope with that, not at this time. But that’s brought a lot of past behaviour back too.

My OH.
    So much worse at the moment. No doubt because he knows I’m upset. So I’ve lost it, more than once, and shouted at him. :-( :-(
    Even the dog senses it.

Oh well, at least people have stopped asking if I had a good Christmas....

15. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    y
    Thank goodness it is over now.

16. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    [QUOTE member: 15571"]y
    Thank goodness it is over now.[/QUOTE]

17. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland

18. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    Sorry I have messed up that post of mine. It seems to have disappeared. Strange things happen when I type - new laptop. New system. W10.