To all who are living with loss

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Another new year without that special someone. Let`s hope 2019 will be easier for all of us.

happy-new-year-2-1080x675.jpg

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Sylvia - thank you so much for that post. It means so much to me,

I have spent a perfectly lovely evening with friends - two couples. They were totally lovely and I couldn't have asked for better company. I just miss my Bill so much.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Thank you Sylvia, I too miss my husband beyond belief, he goes where I go, I carry him in my heart. This is my 3rd new year without him.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I feel for everyone facing a new year alone fo the first time. I hope this coming year will bring a kind of healing and that next year it won’t be quite so difficult. Passing time does help but it doesn’t take away the underlying sadness which is always there no matter what the day but of course accentuated at these times of celebration. Better days for you all. x

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Thank you @Grannie G it was a quiet but pleasant enough entry into the New Year for us. As sad as I feel, it is nowhere near the level of despair I was feeling this time last year. Back then I wondered how on earth I would get through another year of intensive caring for my husband, not realising that he would not live another year - and spent the period between Christmas and New Year frantically requesting help and assessments from the Council and Mental Health team. When we are at the start of a new year it all seems so unmanageable and never-ending..

This year, although I sometimes wonder how I might get through the year(s) ahead without my husband - that intense feeling of despair is not there and I am grateful that, for the most part, I feel at peace.

I wish the same peace to others.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Oh my! I have cried reading this! How very brave some people are, it put into perspective I should be thankful and so so grateful that my darling OH is here with me! Of course he’s not the Man he was, but are any of us! Thank you for making me open my eyes!
I was dreading and trying not to think of , and couldn’t see any future, but we are still a couple.
My heartfelt wishes to you and anyone who’s OH has passed away in2018
May you find peace and comfort and a future with some happiness.

Mummy Miss You

Jan 1, 2019
Oh my! I have cried reading this! How very brave some people are, it put into perspective I should be thankful and so so grateful that my darling OH is here with me! Of course he’s not the Man he was, but are any of us! Thank you for making me open my eyes!
I was dreading and trying not to think of , and couldn’t see any future, but we are still a couple.
My heartfelt wishes to you and anyone who’s OH has passed away in2018
May you find peace and comfort and a future with some happiness.

Mummy Miss You

Jan 1, 2019
You know my mum was 87 at the time when changes in herself were happening. 89 she was assessed with High Care Dementia Alzeimers. We were sadden to hear they gave me 24 hours to put her in respite or transit till we found a permanent care home for her. As my sister could not be her carer anymore. I was heart broken. We finally put her in a permanent nursing home. Day by day she was getting worse wanted to go home my heart melting tremendously. She was in there for 2 1/2 years. She got worse in the end went to hospital. They said she had 3 weeks to live. Sure enough three weeks exactly. This was July I was there every day for three weeks kept feeding her and giving her drinks. The last week was getting worse but I would always hold her hand ensuring her I was there. She waited for me to come back from my smoke and she took her last breath. She knew I was there. They say hearing is the last thing that goes when everything is shutting down. Losing both parents knowing you have neither in your life is so hard and heart breaking.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I was 45 when I lost my mother and 46 when I lost my Dad and all I could think of was I was an orphan and who would think of me. I had a lovely husband and two great children but no one thinks of you like your parents do.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I was 45 when I lost my mother and 46 when I lost my Dad and all I could think of was I was an orphan and who would think of me. I had a lovely husband and two great children but no one thinks of you like your parents do.

That orphan feeling really got to me.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm watching a Miss Marple movie. My mum watched these films over and over. It's 7 years since she died and this is the first time I've brought myself to watch one. I don't care for them but this one is bringing back memories of watching them with her.

I haven't crossed the doorstep today. It's been a beautiful day and I meant yo go for a walk. I sat thinking of all the New Year's Day walks I did with Bill and decided I didn't want to do one on my own.

Hey ho. It's me and Miss Marples then.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I sat thinking of all the New Year's Day walks I did with Bill and decided I didn't want to do one on my own.

Me too Izzy.

I slept badly during the night, was awake at 4am and got up at 5am. The weather was cold and sunny this morning and I intended to go for a walk and intent was as far as it got.

I read, dozed, watched Call the Midwife and Torvill and Dean. A phone call from my son, texts from my daughter in law and grandchildren and I`ve needed no more.

I don`t think a day at home, a day of reflection, peace and quiet harms anyone. It might fill some with dread but everything has it`s time and today was the right time for me.

When I think of the turmoil many are experiencing I am thankful for my lot.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thank you @Grannie G it was a quiet but pleasant enough entry into the New Year for us. As sad as I feel, it is nowhere near the level of despair I was feeling this time last year. Back then I wondered how on earth I would get through another year of intensive caring for my husband, not realising that he would not live another year - and spent the period between Christmas and New Year frantically requesting help and assessments from the Council and Mental Health team. When we are at the start of a new year it all seems so unmanageable and never-ending..

This year, although I sometimes wonder how I might get through the year(s) ahead without my husband - that intense feeling of despair is not there and I am grateful that, for the most part, I feel at peace.

I wish the same peace to others.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Lynne I am glad the despair has gone for you, it is an awful feeling. For me
also
and like you I have a deep sense of peace and gratitude for what we had together. Even although Henry's
death doesn't feel all that long ago. Two and a half years. He is constantly in my heart and my head for
always. Not to say I don't at times deeply miss his presence.

Today would have been Henry's 85th birthday Dementia was with us about 15 years but we had a good life and lots of happy memories Daughter Elaine phoned earlier to say similar we were fortunate to have him in our lives.

Thanks for your lovely message Sylvia for thinking about us

Wishing everyone good health and a good 2019

Love Loo.xxx