To all Carers - Be PROUD OF YOURSELVES

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
I have been reading a few of my posts on here the last week or so after a bit of a melt down, which have may have been a bit negative and maybe angry but one reply on here which was only two lines long gave me the inspiration and insight to make me realise that no matter what is thrown at us, we should ALL be so proud of ourselves as carers. We are doing what we can, no matter where we are from, or what our backgrounds are and circumstances but no matter what, we all do EVERYTHING we can for the person we love because we CARE. My MIL even with her dementia said today just said "thank you for just being you" and it does not matter what else is thrown at me, I don't care, that means the world. I am going to hold onto that for the future, so sod whatever anyone else says, does or thinks, I know that I am doing the best that I can and that is all anyone can do. I am proud of myself and so should we all. X

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Earlier today, when my mother was being particularly stuborn and childish, I said to her "what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Quick as a flash, she replied: "Much older!"

That cheered me up no end, especially as she's been away with the fairies more than usual with the UTI. But you're right, there are times when caring makes you curl up into a ball and cry. And there are times when it makes your heart melt. My mother can be a right royal pain the bum a lot of the time, but sometimes she'll say something out of the blue like "I'm lucky to have you," or "you've lovely" and I bank that for the bad times.

Like the ongoing pill battle tonight. I'm going to get an antibiotic into her before bed if I have to stand her on her head and poke it where the sun doesn't shine. I'm not entirely sure this is accepted protocol. I'd better go check to see if Teepa Snow has a video covering it. ;-)

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Hiding a pill in a piece of Dairyles cheese spread works with my dogs Andrew, will that work with your Mum do you think?:p

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Hiding a pill in a piece of Dairyles cheese spread works with my dogs Andrew, will that work with your Mum do you think?:p
I wrap our dog's pills in bits of mature cheddar usually, but cheese triangles might be simpler. How does your dog get the foil off though? ;-)

The pill did go in without headstands eventually, but it's a real high wire act with no safety net. I feel like I'm tip-toeing along a highwire with a glass of water in one hand and a blummin' pill in the other, while Mum shakes the wire as hard as she can. Which is pretty hard! :)

Sadly the antibiotic capsule can't be chewed in any way if it's going to do its job, and it's too big to disguise easily. I'm definitely going to discuss this with them again though.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We had the pill issue on Friday night and John just gritted hiscteeth and would not take it. Usually it’s just the eye drops for glaucoma he resists. But do you know what? Without his medication he was just fine and slept like a top and didn’t even wet the bed. Hallelujah!

Yes we should be proud of ourselves even when we’re making a mess of it because we are trying to do our best and that is all you can ask of anyone.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I use peanut butter for pill giving for my dog. She can't resist it and because it's very sticky she gets sidetracked about the pill and spends 10 minutes screwing her mouth around and licking her teeth (which makes me laugh).

Crunchy works better than smooth!

Ladyfire2

Jul 13, 2019
Thank you for your posting. I just joined this evening. My Dad has dementia and came to live with me 5 months ago. It consumes me and I am exhausted. When he was diagnosed, I had just retired, and I was planning to start traveling. I feel so alone, but know I say a lot of prayers and try to do my best everyday. It "IS" hard to cut yourself some slack when you feel like you have a day when you fall short. I am glad I found this site. We can use all the help we can get! And we deserve a "Thank you" every day!

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I wrap our dog's pills in bits of mature cheddar usually, but cheese triangles might be simpler. How does your dog get the foil off though? ;-)

The pill did go in without headstands eventually, but it's a real high wire act with no safety net. I feel like I'm tip-toeing along a highwire with a glass of water in one hand and a blummin' pill in the other, while Mum shakes the wire as hard as she can. Which is pretty hard! :)

Sadly the antibiotic capsule can't be chewed in any way if it's going to do its job, and it's too big to disguise easily. I'm definitely going to discuss this with them again though.

They rely on the person with the thumbs!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
We are all extra special people with the mental strength of an ox! We are all super-human!

MaNaAk

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
Totally agree, us carers are superb, I'm always patting myself on the back because my siblings just take it for granted that I will always be here, how wrong of them to think that

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thank you for your posting. I just joined this evening. My Dad has dementia and came to live with me 5 months ago. It consumes me and I am exhausted. When he was diagnosed, I had just retired, and I was planning to start traveling. I feel so alone, but know I say a lot of prayers and try to do my best everyday. It "IS" hard to cut yourself some slack when you feel like you have a day when you fall short. I am glad I found this site. We can use all the help we can get! And we deserve a "Thank you" every day!
Welcome to the forum @Ladyfire2 and I so agree with your sentiments!
It is a lot of work, a lot more than I thought dementia would lead to but we all still crack on until special/expert attention is required. An applause to us all! :D