Tiredness

Hengell

Jun 2, 2013
Mum has vascd, but has been complaining this week that she is very tired. She goes to the day centre 2 a week struggle tomget her there but when there enjoys herself. Although this week when she came back she told us she had been to work and was working in a shop. She is falling asleep most of the time even at the dining table is this a part of the illness or is the poor thing worn out from her shop work.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Hi Hengell. Assuming you are in the UK, it is possible that your mum is reacting to the sudden change in the weather. In the autumn our bodies tell us to conserve energy and keep warm in order to survive the winter months.

She could, as you suggest, be tuckered out from her daytime activities. Do you think she is having disturbed nights which are making her tired during the day? Make sure she is warm enough and not going to bed hungry. There could also be medical reasons for this fatigue, which only a doctor can advise on.

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband has Vas Dem and Alz. He is constantly tired and can sleep 18 hours out of 24.
He also goes to day care twice a week and enjoys it, although it exhausts him and he will sleep from when he gets home about 5 pm until the next morning.
He has been checked out physically by our GP and his psychiatrist and their thinking is that as only about half his s brain works properly, just living tires him and he sleeps to regain his energy. He told me that he hates how he is so sleeps to escape.
Get your mum checked to ensure she is OK and then don't worry - at least she is safe while she is asleep and you can get some rest as well.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I agree with MReader. My husband has Alzheimer's and my mum had Vascular Dementia. Mum was often tired and my husband is sleepy a lot of the time. Having said that when I think he is extra sleepy/tired I always have him checked out at he GP. They recently diagnosed an under active thyroid and they keep a check on him for diabetes. UTIs always make my husband even more tired. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get your mum checked out. If there's nothing wrong then at least you know you are dealing with an aspect of the dementia.

Hengell

Jun 2, 2013
Thanks for your thoughts, the doctor took about 8 different thpes of blood tests last week so will await results.