tired and unappreciated

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
I visit my MIL every day . I'm almost obsessive, It's like I can't settle unless I visit. And yet today I hated every minute. She didn't offer me a cuppa, she was very suspicious, and I came away wondering why I bother.

She may have picked up my weariness, I think I'm pm and I had hoped she would show some sign of gratefulness that I had visited with shopping and made her a cup of tea and suggested what she had for her tea.

Its an incredibly thankless task at times.

I've seen her every day this week, even the day I had driven 200 miles home. Tomorrow I will give myself a day off. She quite possibly would starve if it wasn't for me and sometimes I think no-one else cares !

cerridwen

Dec 29, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi Grandma Joan
My Dad lives 5 miles away and has carers going in three times a day. I too feel obsessive about it sometimes; I often can't rest until I have seen him. It is only to satisfy myself that he is still alive, because he never remembers that I have called.

It sounds like you need some help with MIL. Would it be possible for her to have a care agency involved? Or at least Meals on Wheels?

My Dad never thanks me either for all the stuff I do for him (shopping, washing/ironing, cleaning, medical appointments, care of cats etc). Sometimes I am so exhausted I drag myself over there to be met with indifference. I keep trying to tell myself it's the illness but I still feel unappreciated.

All you can do is your best

Jayne

Perdita

Jun 22, 2009
Suffolk, Uk
I visit my MIL every day . I'm almost obsessive, It's like I can't settle unless I visit. And yet today I hated every minute. She didn't offer me a cuppa, she was very suspicious, and I came away wondering why I bother.

She may have picked up my weariness, I think I'm pm and I had hoped she would show some sign of gratefulness that I had visited with shopping and made her a cup of tea and suggested what she had for her tea.

Its an incredibly thankless task at times.

I've seen her every day this week, even the day I had driven 200 miles home. Tomorrow I will give myself a day off. She quite possibly would starve if it wasn't for me and sometimes I think no-one else cares !

In my experience the person that does the most for someone is usually the whipping girl/boy.

It is a thankless task I agree, but your conscience is clear knowing that you do your best for her :)

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Thank you all. I had a day to myself today. I almost rang her to check she'd taken her meds but I didn't.

Today was my day in the garden and it was gorjus :)

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Tuesday

Haven't seen MIL since Saturday :eek: Couldn't help myself shopping for her today so got lots of things she likes from M&S.

She commented on what a lovely day it is & was very chirpy. I was offered a cup of tea and all was well with the world. She denied having her hair cut even though it was clear the hairdresser had been today, as there was hair all over the kitchen floor. She assured me she had eaten a hot meal but when I counted I know differently as there are the same amount of ready meals in the freezer since Saturday - what has she eaten ??? Oh well she has luncheon club tomorrow and she won't starve as she keeps telling me.

She's got the Alz Soc support worker visiting for the first time on Friday so we'll see how that goes - but it will give me a day off :D

So we're back on track and I was pm so that explains a lot :eek:

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Well done for taking a little break from MIL - sounds like you are both the better for it!

Hope you will have another lovely gardening day soon.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sometimes we can be too readily available and subconsciously taken for granted. Let your MiL be without you sometimes Joan and see if more care can be arranged by agency or SS carers. It will be good for both you and your MiL.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
My MIL (very mild VaD so knows what she's saying most of the time) introduced her younger daughter to a member of staff in the CH as the 'dogsbody'.

After thirty years of looking out for her mother on a daily basis, understandably my SIL was very upset.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister