Tips needed please on moving to a new home with a person with Alzheimers

AGee

Jul 9, 2015
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help?
I hope to move my mum (who was diagnosed with Alzheimers two years ago) in with me and my husband when we move. Do you have any tips or advice because I am sure this will be a stressful time for her. :)

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help?
I hope to move my mum (who was diagnosed with Alzheimers two years ago) in with me and my husband when we move. Do you have any tips or advice because I am sure this will be a stressful time for her. :)

Hi Agee,

I'd suggest you try to make her bedroom in your house look as much like her bedroom in her old house as possible. If you can take all her bedroom furniture, possessions, pictures, etc and try to arrange them all in the same way as in her old bedroom, that will hopefully make the new place seem slightly less strange.

Best of luck,

LS

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Move first and get straight before she comes.
We moved pre diagnoses, but he had a 'bad memory'. Initially, it wasn't so bad, but then we had builders ( sounds like a disease - it was!!) and we moved out for a few weeks. When we got straight I tried to keep things in the same place as in the old house, but I don't think it was of much use.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
We moved last year and before I packed my husbands clothes I took photos of the drawers. That meant that his clothes were put in the same place in the new house. Good luck with the move.