TIPPING POINT

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
When we were young we never thought about dementia did we? We thought that some old folk were strange, but never for one minute did we think of the anguish that their families endured trying to keep them safe and the emotional trauma involved.
And so it is with people we know who have no contact with PWD. They have no understanding of what it's like. And not just young people. Some of my older friends say how difficult it must be for me, but I know that they have no idea. It's not something that can be easily explained. I believe that only my friends on here know what it's really like.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have just listened to a carer describing her life looking after her husband with dementia in the MOOC course and appreciate even more the community on TP who help each other with insight and support. The lady who described her life was just like ‘one of us’, and I understood everything she was saying with complete honesty, no sugaring of the pill. I have learned so much especially that we are not trained to do this work, didn’t sign up for it and come to the end of our tether often. We cannot be saintly carers 24/7, and need to be kind to ourselves as we battle with this irrational person without anyone understanding unless they have experienced it themselves.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

If anyone would like to read my article in this months Devonshire Magazine click on the link below - go to the top of the page where it says 'read more' in red, and click, then look for page 96.
Have a look at the whole magazine - there are some stunning relaxing photographs in there as well!

www.devonshiremagazine.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorna44

Jul 16, 2016
Surrey

If anyone would like to read my article in this months Devonshire Magazine click on the link below - go to the top of the page where it says 'read more' in red, and click, then look for page 96.
Have a look at the whole magazine - there are some stunning relaxing photographs in there as well!

www.devonshiremagazine.co.uk
Brilliant article, @maryjoan
Well done xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
thanks for that link @maryjoan ......verymoving article, and, as you said, some beautiful photos. I read quite a lot of the mag.....bit of nostalgia as we used to go camping a lot in Devon when I was a kid.....made me homesick! Let us know when the rest of your diary goes online too :)

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thanks for link, I could not find it before. People need to know. Your well written article is brilliant. Let us all know when the next part is out.
The magazine is lovely, brought back many happy memories. X

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Excellent article @maryjoan. Lovely magazine as well.
For a long time I was the only one really concerned about my mother's behaviour. It was when someone from the company that manages her block of flats rang up to say he'd had a disturbing phone call with mum and was concerned about her that I realised it was moving on to something more than old age forgetfulness.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Excellent article @maryjoan. Lovely magazine as well.
For a long time I was the only one really concerned about my mother's behaviour. It was when someone from the company that manages her block of flats rang up to say he'd had a disturbing phone call with mum and was concerned about her that I realised it was moving on to something more than old age forgetfulness.

I think it is the realisation that is the hardest part - and then the 'what to do'....

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Excellent article, members having difficulty viewing may find clicking on thumbnails easier.

Click on thumbnail | click on 'open in new window' upward sloping arrow top right | Click anywhere on image to enlarge to full screen

0001.jpg 0002.jpg 0003.jpg

Alternatively a pdf of the relevant 3 pages of Devonshire Spring 2019 can be downloaded >>>here<<<

Last edited:

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Hello all - I just read the article and,as with all others here, i dread the deterioration of the person i love - becoming more difficult to manage. Today our doctor has decided, after many eating difficulties, that my husband should be examined by a surgeon for a possible stent - some anesthetic is necessary - is there an article on the problems with anesthetic and vascular dementia!? Any experiences !?
With thanks for any advice MJ

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Excellent article, members having difficulty viewing may find clicking on thumbnails easier.

Click on thumbnail | click on 'open in new window' upward sloping arrow top right | Click anywhere on image to enlarge to full screen

View attachment 60598 View attachment 60599 View attachment 60600

Alternatively a pdf of the relevant 3 pages of Devonshire Spring 2019 can be downloaded >>>here<<<
Thank you so much @nitram - I am not as tech savvy as you - and thank you for saying my article was 'excellent' hopefully I will improve further as the diary continues in the May/June issue...... it's a lovely magazine to browse through as well - the photos take me to the parts of Devon we can no longer get to, not having a car any more.... ;)

KatieR

Mar 13, 2019
That's an excellent article, MaryJoan, and it rang so many bells with me. I think you've been very brave, I really do.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I flew to Edinburgh on Friday to meet my brand new grandson. Carers in at home 4 x a day for himself.
Returned to Bristol last night, and texted himself,, to say I had landed.

Sweetly he said " Would that be at Bristol?" - exactly where did he think I would land...........

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Hope you had a wonderful time. Xxx
I did thanks a lot, @AliceA - we even met a film star at Bristol Airport and my little granddaughter had her photo taken with her.
Saoirse Ronan - who is filming with Kate Winslet in Lyme Regis at the moment. Saoirse was seeing her boyfriend in Edinburgh!
New grandson is lovely, spent loads of time with him, and the family - just great. Shame to come home if you understand....