TIPPING POINT

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Today's tipping point:-
We went out for lunch to local pub. Several incidents concerning my OH caused a man sat in the corner to laugh out loud. I noticed, OH did not. I felt like going across and saying something to this man - should I have done?

I think you're probably right to have ignored it. Having said that I remember the feeling of anger and hurt that this caused when it sometimes happened to me and my husband.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Today's tipping point:-
We went out for lunch to local pub. Several incidents concerning my OH caused a man sat in the corner to laugh out loud. I noticed, OH did not. I felt like going across and saying something to this man - should I have done?
I can imagine how hurtful that was. What would you say had you said anything - "There but for the grace of God" or "I hope someone would laugh at you if it happens to you" ?.
I would probably want to say something if it happened to me, but it wouldn't have the desired effect. Pig ignorance!!! We are bigger and better than that. Best ignored. I think my husband would probably be more upset if I caused a scene than anyone laughing at him had he noticed.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
if anything like this happened when I was out with dad, I thought to myself that maybe the person themselves had some diagnosed reason why their behaviour wasn't as thoughtful and kind as it might have been - it helped me to set aside their reactions and concentrate on being with dad

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Real Tipping Point Day today, and carers assessment never got done, but for very good reason.

My youngest son lives in Scotland with his wee Scottish wife. She went into labour with their first born last night. Long story short, chaotic delivery, baby 10lbs, and he had a broken arm when born.

Frantic son, on phone off and on during the night and progress reports during the day -.

In the meanwhile, OH's son down here for a few days break, wants to call this afternoon for coffee - OH refuses even though he has not seen his son for a couple of months. Seems OH prefers playing snooker.

Then my daughter rocks up with Little Jack to go on the weekly Great Yoghurt Hunt. But Little Jack becomes very unwell, and sick, and falls asleep on the sofa. His Mummy takes him home. Now he has spots.

OH now not happy because no yoghurts for tomorrow.

Intermittent phone calls from Scotland all day.....baby called Miles - so that is nice. Arm defo broken above elbow. not so nice.

Decide we will have to go on 2 buses each way now tomorrow to look for yoghurts. One bus is on a long diversion - we already know that. We will be out almost 5 hours just for some yoghurts.

Getting quite tired now, but smiley because of Grandson.

Just had email from OH's son, who wanted to see his Dad - turns out he wanted to introduce us to his new girlfriend. Which I am very pleased about because OH's son has never had a girlfriend in all the time I have known him - more than 8 years, and he is a lovely chap.

So some very happy things, some weird and some not so happy, all in one day.... and I am still wondering why OH has started to wear the wedding ring again from the marriage that ended 17 years ago.......

Isn't life fun????

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Phew!!! Im worn out just reading that lot!
Lovely to hear about son and girlfriend, I hope they can both come over soon.
Not so good about Miles and Little Jack (though congrats for Miles) - I hope they are both better soon.
Shame about the yoghurts :rolleyes:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry to hear about Mile's broken arm, hopefully it'll mend well, but glad to hear he has arrived.

good news about OH's son having a girlfriend, although pity OH didn't want to see him

What a pain to have to go and get the yoghurts - you've said before OH is very particular about them, so I guess your judgement call to go and get them is the right one.

Maryland

Mar 30, 2015
North East UK
You sound as though you have a lot going on, I now do all my grocery shopping on line so my OH has to eat what is delivered plus the fact it saves him moaning about going shopping. I took him for a walk this afternoon which took three times as long but at last he got some fresh air. You take care and have an easy day tomorrow. I am struggling to cope with my OH after about 5 pm. He has all doors windows and blinds drawn by then and at 8 pm tells me it is time I was in bed !!! The consultant at the memory clinic said to ignore him but that is easier said than done. His OCD is getting worse but the m docs say that is normal. Thanks for the rant !!!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
What a day Mary, I do hope the baby is thriving from what sounds a difficult birth. It was certainly all happening at your place.
I am just catching up with posts after a unexpected medical treatment.
This has come out larger than expected, still not quite with it! Take care.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Congratulations on the birth of your grandchild maryjoan. The birth sounds traumatic and I hope mother and baby will make a good recovery.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Congratulation on the birth of your grandchild @maryjoan , I hope the broken arm heals well.
I've woken up full of cold this morning, I'm glad yours has gone.
We had a visitor yesterday and I made her a cup of tea and made my husband a cup of coffee. I wasn't sure if I'd put a sweetner in the tea so pushed it to one side and made another. I thought I'd drink the spare one but in fact I left it as I didn't fancy it. My husband drank his coffee, and after our visitor left I came on the internet as I needed to send an email. My husband said he wanted a cup of coffee. I told him he'd just had one but if he still wanted one I'd make one after I'd sent my email.
Suddenly I noticed my husband walk into the room with a cup of something. I asked him what he had and he said he'd made himself a cup of coffee. Well I didn't hear the kettle boil but thought maybe I'd been too busy with my email. He doesn't normally make his own coffee as he struggles to remember how. After a while he said he couldn't drink his coffee as it had gone cold. You've probably guessed by now that what he had was my cold cup of tea. But he was totally convinced he had made himself a cup of coffee.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Congratulation on the birth of your grandchild @maryjoan , I hope the broken arm heals well.
I've woken up full of cold this morning, I'm glad yours has gone.
We had a visitor yesterday and I made her a cup of tea and made my husband a cup of coffee. I wasn't sure if I'd put a sweetner in the tea so pushed it to one side and made another. I thought I'd drink the spare one but in fact I left it as I didn't fancy it. My husband drank his coffee, and after our visitor left I came on the internet as I needed to send an email. My husband said he wanted a cup of coffee. I told him he'd just had one but if he still wanted one I'd make one after I'd sent my email.
Suddenly I noticed my husband walk into the room with a cup of something. I asked him what he had and he said he'd made himself a cup of coffee. Well I didn't hear the kettle boil but thought maybe I'd been too busy with my email. He doesn't normally make his own coffee as he struggles to remember how. After a while he said he couldn't drink his coffee as it had gone cold. You've probably guessed by now that what he had was my cold cup of tea. But he was totally convinced he had made himself a cup of coffee.
I couldn’t resist commenting here because I just love this, just the same here and in our case he wouldn’t know whether it was tea or coffee and drinks it cold now anyway. Taste and smell went a long time ago.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Congratulations to you and your family @maryjoan , what a traumatic birth. Baby bones heal very well fortunately because they are so soft and bendy, only hardening up as they grow up, but not easy for a new mother to cope with.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I do hope mum is doing OK. Im not surprised it wasnt an easy birth - the thought of giving birth to a 10 lb baby made my eyes water!!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yesterday I decided to save effort by paying the yearly fees for the Volunteer Car Service by BACS. Other years it has been cheque only.
I duly set up a new recipient on the main joint account, this of course had to be verified etc. for security.
As each invoice had it own reference I decided to pay two individual payments rather than a joint one.
Fine, then when I tried to pay the second I could not as the first was still pending.
So OK, we have a second account. This one needed a card reader for security. I went through the process then had put in a PIN. At that point I went blank! I seldom use it and I failed therefore locking the account.
This entailed a phone call to unlock, this can take up to 12 days. (The unlocking not the phone call although ..................)
By then half the morning had sped by. The other half was trying to get a driver from the foresaid car service.
They are really hard pressed now the rural transport has been axed, I had a call to say she is still trying, perhaps today?
The only good thing was the second bank had a chatty person and we ended having a laugh. She told me about her partner and her issues with IT too.

So do I try to sort out BT? Well next week perhaps. Why is life so complicated. No wonder dementias are so prevalent, holding too much information seems to be damaging my brain.
I woke up this morning and remembered the PIN.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Pin numbers and passwords have become a nightmare for me. We are told to have different ones but I seem to have too many. On the plus side, if I have trouble with them I suppose I`m well protected from fraud. :)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Congratulations @maryjoan on the birth of Miles. I smiled at the spots on the other wee one. I chat to an African family who live near us and one day at the bus stop the wee fellow was a bit unwell. I noticed a spot on his face and asked Mum if he had any others. She pulled up his T-shirt and his chest was covered with spots. Chicken pox I cried. Another lady said”Who needs a doctor when you can get diagnosed at the bus stop”!

Once you’ve had children and grandchildren diagnosing chickenpox is a doddle.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Yesterday I decided to save effort by paying the yearly fees for the Volunteer Car Service by BACS. Other years it has been cheque only.
I duly set up a new recipient on the main joint account, this of course had to be verified etc. for security.
As each invoice had it own reference I decided to pay two individual payments rather than a joint one.
Fine, then when I tried to pay the second I could not as the first was still pending.
So OK, we have a second account. This one needed a card reader for security. I went through the process then had put in a PIN. At that point I went blank! I seldom use it and I failed therefore locking the account.
This entailed a phone call to unlock, this can take up to 12 days. (The unlocking not the phone call although ..................)
By then half the morning had sped by. The other half was trying to get a driver from the foresaid car service.
They are really hard pressed now the rural transport has been axed, I had a call to say she is still trying, perhaps today?
The only good thing was the second bank had a chatty person and we ended having a laugh. She told me about her partner and her issues with IT too.

So do I try to sort out BT? Well next week perhaps. Why is life so complicated. No wonder dementias are so prevalent, holding too much information seems to be damaging my brain.
I woke up this morning and remembered the PIN.
Card Reader? Flaming nightmare - I have one for NatWest and what a pain!