Timeline advise

Clare350

Apr 14, 2020
Hi - My father, who has advanced altzeimers is currently in hospital having been admitted 2 weeks ago with a UTI. The doctor called my mother and I today to basically let us know is declining. He barely eats or drinks anything at all - pretty much nothing, and stopped breathing momentarily because of a build up of saliva in his throat last week. He currently has intravenous fluids and glucose but the doctors are looking to move him into a nursing home now that they have resolved the UTI and he has found his "new baseline". We were also told today that he has unfortunetely tested positive for Covid-19 which he clearly contracted whilst in hospital.

I am trying to support my mum through this and would like to understand how much longer he has with us now that he has stopped taking in liquids and solids. We are living in fear and I sense we may not get through April, but with no experience and no clear guidance I can find on-line I thought someone within this community may be able to help give clarity.

Thank you in advance.

Clare

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I have never seen a definitive answer to this question as people can rally and get to this stage a number of times over a considerable period. There have been many tales to that effect here.

I'm sorry that your family are facing this and I wish strength to all of you. Please keep posting as you will get support here.

Clare350

Apr 14, 2020
I have never seen a definitive answer to this question as people can rally and get to this stage a number of times over a considerable period. There have been many tales to that effect here.

I'm sorry that your family are facing this and I wish strength to all of you. Please keep posting as you will get support here.
Thank you

Clare350

Apr 14, 2020
Hello. I just wanted to say that my father died on May 6th. He basically gave up eating and drinking completely in the end. He was transferred to a nursing home for the last week of his life and my mum was allowed to be with him for the final two. He was in a ground floor room, so I did get to see he two days before he died though the window. I found this very harrowing. We will never really know how the Covid virus affected him but to that seems pretty irrelevant to be honest. The burial took place yesterday and he is now at peace which is of great comfort to my mother and I.

I will worry about how my mum will adapt to life on her own for a while, they had been married for 52 years. I really don't know how she coped with caring for him on her own right up to 28 days before he died - I didn't think it was possible but I feel closer to her now than ever before.

Thanks to everyone here who gave me a bit of help and advise, it was extremely useful and very much appreciated.

Clare

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My condolences to you and your mother on your loss @Clare350. I am glad that you can find comfort in knowing that your father is at peace.
Remember that we are still here for you whenever you need to talk.