Timed Out Facility?

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Last night my PC crashed(or Broadband failed) whilst I was still logged in to TP..... (hence it would have looked like I was online for 36 hours or so!!!!)... wouldn’t normally matter (like when I forget to log out!:eek:) but I was very concerned for a particular poster last night and concerned if they posted again my being online would make it look like I was ignoring them after trying to offer support!:(

Obviously, this is a forum not a chat room – but sometimes it is helpful to see who is online ......especially at silly o’clock when there is rarely anyone around except our overseas members or the UK Insomniac members like myself!!!!! :rolleyes:

It prompted me today to check the User CP to see if there was a ‘timed-out’ facility. Anyone uses MSN will know you can set options to show you as ‘away’ etc if you are inactive for a specified time ...

Is there one? Coz I can’t find it? And just thought it would be useful?

Regards, Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes there is. I think it's currently set to 60 minutes. If you are inactive for 60 minutes (logged in or logged out) you are dropped from the list.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks, Jennifer - but why was my 'little man' showing green when I eventually got back online some 12 hours later?????:confused: Or was that because I had reactivated myself????? :eek:

Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That was because you had reactivated yourself - it's one of those you can't observe yourself without being observed situations.

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
I never log of,just switch off or go on to another site,when i switch on again i am already logged in,does this mean it shows me as logged on all the time?
John.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No, John. After 60 minutes with no action the system decides you are not online.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
If you are inactive for 60 minutes (logged in or logged out) you are dropped from the list.

So even if I am logged out, 'TP' or someone knows I am browsing ....?????

Sorry not quibbling here - just a genuine question ... makes me wonder now if this is why I 'lose' posts ... if it takes me forever in and amongst other things writing a reply ... use cut and paste mostly now - but it is making sense of some things.

Cheers, Jennifer, x

(Jenn - the quote above is lending itself to prima donna footballers who are out of action for most of a 90 minute game, but that belongs in the Tea Room!!! :D Sorry.:eek: Fancy a day job? Might be one going soon in the English FA :D)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well if you're not logged in, the system doesn't know who you are so if, for example, you were reading posts on the main forum, as far as the system knows you're a guest (just like the search bots that things like google uses).

Yes, if you (when you log in) don't tick the remember me box, after 60 minutes of inaction (or what the system perceives as inaction - typing a post doesn't count, posting a post does), the system will log you out. If that happens follow the prompts precisely (which will allow you to log in) and you will not lose your post. Do NOT, repeat NOT go up to the right top of your screen where you normally log in, because doing it like that you will lose your post. Of course, if you set the system to "remember me" when you log in, this will not be an issue (although you'll have to remember to log off if you want to).

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
You ever had one of those days you were sorry you ever asked the first question???? :rolleyes::eek::D

Thanks so much for your time Jennifer ... but with responses to this thread I am more confused than ever so will just keep bumbling along in pure technophobe manner as ever ..... :eek:

I think I’ve got the gist of it ... even if I tell ‘the system’ to remember me it will go off in a sulk after 60 minutes if I haven’t paid it any attention???? :cool::D

Thanks, Kaz, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
But you will still be logged in.

Only I use my computer so I have remember me ticked and so I stay logged in all the time, although I am not online all the time.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Oh Lordy .... what's the difference between being logged in and being on-line?????? :eek:

I have shown my ignorance thus far - I might as well go the whole hog now! :eek::eek:

Kaz, x

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
After 60 minuts the system deceides i am not on line? I never log out or log in,what is going on,am i going mad? Kaz what have you done? I was ignorant,now i am just lost!!!!! Help,no dont,no more explanations i give up!
John.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Logged in means you have a little green icon next to your name, you can get to your mail box and you can post and also look and post in the Tea Room. Online is just here - can't post, no mailbox, can't even see that the Tea Room exists.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Just to clarify : if you are not logged in

This is what you see at the bottom of the main menu

Picture 1.png

(you would be counted as one of the guests)

and at the top of the page you would see this

Picture 2.png

And I took this picture (online but not logged on) so you can see my brown icon (showing that I am not logged in)

Picture 3.png

Hopefully that is clearer than mud :D

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Kaz what have you done? I was ignorant,now i am just lost!!!!! Help,no dont,no more explanations i give up!

:D Join the club, John ... honest Jennifer... the phrase 'flogging a dead horse' comes to mind ... I hold my hands up .... :eek::rolleyes: I am never gonna 'get' this stuff and accede I have my life tied with bribing my teenage bag of hormones to help me out when I get stuck!!!!! :eek:

Kaz, x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Yes, I don't think I've done anyone any favours with this explanation.

Jennifer - bless you - you have tried so hard - it's the audience (only speaking for myself!) just can't keep up ..... :eek::D:D

Confess - I am very pleased you have persevered and didn't write me off as a lost cause straight away!!!!! :D:D

But you can now! :eek::eek::(:rolleyes:

Kaz, x