Time, what is that? I have no time to care.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
In that strange way that it does the time that my wife has been in her care home has gone by quickly and yet is full of memories of things that seem to have happened a lifetime ago. One year ago I was on the brink of taking the momentous step of taking her for a trial stay in residential care with a view to a permanent placement if things worked out. I had everything ready but she remained blissfully unaware of what would have seemed to her like a betrayal. I knew that it was the right thing to do but that did not stop me from being full of trepidation.

On 13 May 2019 a new chapter in our life as a couple opened as for the first time in 40 years we were living apart as we used to at the start of our relationship. In the 12 months since many things have changed and some have stayed the same. My wife is the same slowly declining person that she has become since dementia took over her life. Her world has shrunk with the progression of her disease. Yet she seems more relaxed and content than for several years. I have adapted to a new routine of frequent visits to see her and getting back some of the pleasures that I used to have before 24 hour caring took over my life. We have a renewed relationship and are happier now than we were a year ago, although my happiness has a sometimes sad and poignant edge.

First and foremost in helping to get to this point is the way the staff at her care home have helped her to settle and developed strong personal bonds with her and with me as well. We have become part of a somewhat eccentric but very caring family. Those friends from my cycling club who know my wife and our situation have given me support when I have needed it and have been good companions throughout. My sister and her husband have been great. Knight our lovely greyhound has adapted to the new circumstances and has given me his faithful and unconditional love and quiet affection. My bikes deserve a mention.

Throughout times that have sometimes been difficult the advice and good judgement of my many friends on Dementia Talking Point has gone far beyond what I could reasonably have expected. Thank you all.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Lockdown and everything else around it have been getting me down a bit recently, so it's lovely to read of your positive experience @northumbrian_k. Your friends at cycle club must be as precious as my walking buddies, so good of them to keep in touch and support you.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Such a touching post @northumbrian_k
What you write is full of love and grace and understanding
I am so pleased for you both that your relationship is so durable and resilient
And glad you have support around you, as you support folk here too

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Gosh, is it a year now? It only seems like a few months that you were talking about your wife moving.

Im so glad that your wife is more content and you both have settled into the routine. Yes, when mum lived in her care home , she, the other residents with their families and the staff all became like an extended family to me too. I have some good memories of the time mum lived there and Im sure you do too.
xxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
In that strange way that it does the time that my wife has been in her care home has gone by quickly and yet is full of memories of things that seem to have happened a lifetime ago. One year ago I was on the brink of taking the momentous step of taking her for a trial stay in residential care with a view to a permanent placement if things worked out. I had everything ready but she remained blissfully unaware of what would have seemed to her like a betrayal. I knew that it was the right thing to do but that did not stop me from being full of trepidation.

On 13 May 2019 a new chapter in our life as a couple opened as for the first time in 40 years we were living apart as we used to at the start of our relationship. In the 12 months since many things have changed and some have stayed the same. My wife is the same slowly declining person that she has become since dementia took over her life. Her world has shrunk with the progression of her disease. Yet she seems more relaxed and content than for several years. I have adapted to a new routine of frequent visits to see her and getting back some of the pleasures that I used to have before 24 hour caring took over my life. We have a renewed relationship and are happier now than we were a year ago, although my happiness has a sometimes sad and poignant edge.

First and foremost in helping to get to this point is the way the staff at her care home have helped her to settle and developed strong personal bonds with her and with me as well. We have become part of a somewhat eccentric but very caring family. Those friends from my cycling club who know my wife and our situation have given me support when I have needed it and have been good companions throughout. My sister and her husband have been great. Knight our lovely greyhound has adapted to the new circumstances and has given me his faithful and unconditional love and quiet affection. My bikes deserve a mention.

Throughout times that have sometimes been difficult the advice and good judgement of my many friends on Dementia Talking Point has gone far beyond what I could reasonably have expected. Thank you all.

Your account is very moving, I remember your struggle, thank you for sharing it is heart lifting. X

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So poignant, but also uplifting - the right care/nursing home and the staff that care for our loved ones are worth their weight in gold.

Take care

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I always think that when you are going through difficult times and making tough decisions, it can be hard to see the wood for the trees (or should that be the other way around?).
It's only afterwards, when life has settled are you able to look back and examine the whole picture and it is then that you can sit and reflect and take comfort in knowing you made the right decisions.
Looking back gives you the opportunity to go forward with confidence.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is not so easy during lockdown of course but I am in regular touch by phone and video call. I was pleased when one of the staff said that she gets a lot from my wife, even when she just sits in the office talking nonsense (my wife not the carer). It gave an insight into the caring attitude at the home.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Your utter devotion and love for your wife shine's through all your posts and hearing about the acts of caring and kindness towards your wife must give you peace of mind during this time when you are unable to be with her.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Good to read something positive about care homes. Putting our PWD into a care home is a huge decision, one I'm going to have to face myself sometime in the near future. There are some very good care homes and a lot of very caring staff, they are greatly improved on how they used to be.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I had a good conversation with a senior carer today. The second 6 month review of my wife's time at her care home was due. I have read of others feeling unable to do this over the telephone but I was happy to as I have been in touch at least weekly with various staff members, all of whom I know and trust. I have also seen and spoken to my wife by video call on a few occasions. Based on this and my previous regular visiting pattern I was able to confirm that the care home is serving my wife's needs in the way that I had hoped for when she moved there.

Her personal needs are met and she has good relationships with other residents and staff members. Her pattern of waking and sleeping which had gone slightly awry has reverted to normal. She sometimes sits in the office with a member of the staff and also accompanies them upstairs, enabling her to mix with the residents on that floor as well. Trips out are not possible at the moment but she has been out in the garden with other residents. She has moved on from her fairly brief period of challenging behaviour. The medication provided for any flare ups has not been needed for several months. She has been discharged by the Challenging Behaviour Team. As I said in a different post the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding arrangements have now been renewed for a further 12 months and I remain my wife's Relevant Personal Representative.

All in, 12 months on from her first admission things are going as well as I had hoped.

Star of the Orient

May 20, 2020

Star of the Orient

May 20, 2020
It sounds beautiful and so difficult to understand. It was done with the very best of intentions and maybe with the distance between you both physically it has brought her some space from her dementia. I do not in any way wish to say anything out of turn. But your short email leaves me touched. I wish you both enjoyment.