Time limit on respite?

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I am wondering whether care homes will only do respite for so many weeks and then insist on full residential. Is this dependant on care home policy? Is there a standard answer across the board? Are they happy to keep repite going so long as someone is paying the bill at slightly higher respite rates?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Gosh, you certainly have a lot of questions today.
I had the opposite problem by trying to limit the number if respite weeks at a time. OH wasn't self-funding so we had to go by what SS allowed us. I was given three respite weeks a year. It used to go up to eight respite weeks a year, then they became stingy. Anyway, care homes don't like to give respite for just a week at a time, they hate that. Minimum is usually two weeks, in on care home they said three weeks. If you get only three weeks a year, that's very difficult, but what I'm saying is that I don't think care homes will restrict your weeks - on the contrary, they seem to encourage longer time periods, I guess because it's easier if they don't have to admit new people every week.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad started a trial 2 week at his dementia nursing home but trial was viewed just the same as respite as far as his home was concerned...the 2 week factor was our choice. Over 3 years ago ... the weekly trial/respite fee was £1150 and the permanent weekly rate £1000 there was no limit as to how many weeks dad stayed on trial/respite basis and the reason obvious....they made more money if kept on trial/respite basis.

jen54

May 20, 2014
We ,originally,told carehome we wanted three weeks respite for mum on her discharge from hospital, a form was filled in,respite was £30 extra per week
After their asessment I went in and they advised me that they viewed respite as a temporary thing so the room would possibly be given to someone else after the three weeks,and mum may not have a place thereafter.
They recommended a trail,so we went for four weeks,if all works out she will continue permanently .

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Mum had respite for 7 mths while i had an operation and was unable to care for mum. Mum contributed £100 pw. I did have a problem though, sw got team leader to have best interest meeting with a view of mum staying in care . I had to fight hard and she came home x

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Here in Kent, we had originally arranged for respite of one week every five or six weeks. The home were happy to do that, but could not guarantee dates in advance, as they weren’t sure of the availability of the ‘respite room’. As it happens, after the initial two week respite, I realised I could no longer cope at home, and my husband stayed, just moving from the respite room, into his own room.