Time for me (Carers Centre)

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
Hi everyone my hubby wants to take me away for a week hes worried about me and really wants me to have a break and to be honest since ive been looking after mum we seem to drifting apart So i started looking round to see if there was anything else out there i could put into place for mum if i go away
I found a number for carers center and because i knew i wouldnt be able to book any respite for mum !!!!!! i gave them a ring they have a list of carers who work independently ( i did mention respite and she told me i would only qualify if i cared 24/7 might be worth a try for some of you these people care about the carers) i'm going to see a lovely lady next week to discuss and arrange mum does have care going in but i want extra care to fill in for me cup of tea chat etc my brother will be doing his bit too
She then told me about a grant they have for carers called Time For Me which is up to £200 its not means tested you have to apply and your case goes before a panel some of you probably already know about this and i don't know if there are carers centers in all areas but needed to share this with you love Annie x
P.S they are also offering free three hour sessions at the spa in town for carers and a friend heaven knows when i'd get the time but would be nice x

Last edited:

Miss shiraz

Dec 24, 2014
Midlands
You definitely deserve a break as caring is tiring and you, mum and hubby will all benefit.... mum as you will feel rested and refreshed. Can Social Services help with setting up some care as mum is not 100% your responsibility? I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon with words of advice.
My MIL is still at home, manages very well with our help but it is hard work at times- organising her life, our life and working full time. We've come away for a week and both feel so much better for it. Do you have any family and/or friends that can pop in for tea and biscuits to see she's ok. We also have meals on wheels going in.. another pair of eyes. The link is on local authority site, but its a national company and meals are good.
So yes do try to get away with hubby and do that spa day as you deserve it... not often you get something for free :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
You definitely deserve a break as caring is tiring and you, mum and hubby will all benefit.... mum as you will feel rested and refreshed. Can Social Services help with setting up some care as mum is not 100% your responsibility? I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon with words of advice.
My MIL is still at home, manages very well with our help but it is hard work at times- organising her life, our life and working full time. We've come away for a week and both feel so much better for it. Do you have any family and/or friends that can pop in for tea and biscuits to see she's ok. We also have meals on wheels going in.. another pair of eyes. The link is on local authority site, but its a national company and meals are good.
So yes do try to get away with hubby and do that spa day as you deserve it... not often you get something for free :rolleyes:
Thanks for your reply miss shiraz glad to hear you've managed to get away for a week and your feeling much better for it, i know i will feel better for it a bit of me and hubby time instead of juggling my life trying to keep all the balls in the air My brother will call after work everyday we don't have any family or friends near mum i will look on the local authority site and see what i can find I must say the spa is tempting but you know the lives we lead don't know if i could sit around for three hours relaxing and doing nothing i usually meet my self coming back lol take care love Annie x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Anniebell, I think the 'Time for me' payment you mention is perhaps a version of the 'Carer's Individual Budget'. This varies from LA to LA, but here's a sample of an LA page describing it:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200015/advice_for_carers/3649/caring_for_someone/4

From previous discussions on TP, it's not clear to me whether there is any legal obligation on Councils to offer this but it seems that many still do. It's not means-tested, the largest amount I've heard of is £400 and it has to be spent by and on the carer NOT the person they are caring for.

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
Anniebell, I think the 'Time for me' payment you mention is perhaps a version of the 'Carer's Individual Budget'. This varies from LA to LA, but here's a sample of an LA page describing it:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200015/advice_for_carers/3649/caring_for_someone/4

From previous discussions on TP, it's not clear to me whether there is any legal obligation on Councils to offer this but it seems that many still do. It's not means-tested, the largest amount I've heard of is £400 and it has to be spent by and on the carer NOT the person they are caring for.

Hi stanleypj thanks for your reply it sounds like the same thing, i'm not applying for the grant as you say its for the carer' they are going to help me get some extra care for mum whilst i'm away don't think id get it to pay for the care even though in a round about way it would be paying for the carers peace of mind enabling the carer to relax on a much needed break ! take care Annie x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
We used to have an iCare budget - money to be spent by the carer on something for them, hairdo, massage, computer etc. but this year - no money.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Yes. It was always little enough but a bit of a gesture, if you were lucky enough to live where they had such a scheme - and told you about it! Now, for many people it seems, there's absolutely nothing like this.

There is even speculation that the actual Carer's Allowance - means-tested and paltry as it is - may be at risk in the next five years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife