Time disorientation.

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
Mum woke us up at 6am this morning on the phone thinking it was 6pm, wondering why I hadn't been round all day.
She has these turns every few months and she gets quite agitated by them, but gets over it with reassurance and a cup of tea. Has anyone else experienced this?

CarerForMum

May 5, 2017
Mum woke us up at 6am this morning on the phone thinking it was 6pm, wondering why I hadn't been round all day.
She has these turns every few months and she gets quite agitated by them, but gets over it with reassurance and a cup of tea. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, have this all the time with my mum, can't tell the difference between 2am or 2pm though she can tell the time as in it is the number 2. Tried clocks with am/pm or morning/night, she never looked at it. It's just part of this awful disease.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Yes. My mom gets confused about the time. We had thought lighter nights would help but it hasn't. We went Thursday 1.30pm and she was really surprised as she seemed to think it was bed time even though the remnants of her lunch were still in front of her and it was broad daylight. Carers often find her in bed at tea time and she occasionally gets up and dressed in the night. Fortunately carers pop in 6 times per day as she is in an extra care facility so it keeps her more on track than she would otherwise be. We are hoping for residential care soon. My husband also gets a bit confused and just goes to bed when I go and gets up when I tell him its time - without me here he wouldn't have a clue.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband no longer understands the time of day/night. If it wasn't for the fact that we all live under one roof and he has me, son or daughter around to tell him when it is time to get up, go to bed, eat, sleep etc he would be totally lost.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Mum has Alzheimers clocks all over the house that clearly state in big numbers and letters what the time is, but she just doesn't understand them any more. She also doesn't take any clues from whether it's dark or light.

This morning, she woke me at 6.30am, to ask whether it was morning or evening.

This is extremely common with Dementia - things just don't make sense any more, and the PWD finds it impossible to interpret even clear information. They respond better to direct conversation - "Yes, Mum, it's evening" goes in, but looking at a clock doesn't.

She often gets up and gets dressed (clothes over pyjamas) in the middle of the night, and packs all her things, expecting to go 'home'.

So sorry you're experiencing this, Netsy. It's so difficult, I know. Sending you a big hug and lots of virtual support.

Hugs

Jo xx